Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of putting a fresh 351w in to our '69. As far as I know the 351 came out of a 79 crown vic police package. I know this decoding the codes. It has a dual sump pan with 2 drains. I'm having trouble getting the rear hump to clear the power steering control valve? Its the shock looking thing that connects to the front drag link. I've tried using the original pan from the '69 but the front sump isn't deep enough to clear the oil pump. I'm thinking about removing the PS control valve? to see if I can can the clearance for the dual sump pan. Also thinking about removing PS all together as the system needs rebuilt. Has anyone used the Power to Manual steering adapter from WCCC? I'm just looking for some more info from you guys on the 351w and maybe its differences from the regualar 351w. I'll be researching it yet to as I want to get this set in before the snow flies. Thanks for you time. 6t9

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
With the stock steering (manual or power), you must use a front sump pan. Is it the oil pump that won't clear or is it the oil pump pick up? You must also match the oil pump pick up to the pan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil pump wont clear the front sump on the '69 pan I have. The pickup is also in the rear.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Your pickup should look like this (not mine).

This type of pickup will clear a stock '69 oil pan. If you have a pickup that reaches to the back of the engine, it will not work with a '69 oil pan. Also, all the oil pumps from '69 to '97 are the same.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Also, along with the above info. you need to be aware of where your oil dipstick will be located. The newer models were in the oil pan, the older were in the timing cover!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Good point. I tapped and plugged the rear dip stick hole on my 1989 block. 1/8" NPT worked pretty well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, Thanks for the help so far. I switched the pickups and got the '69 pan on. The dipstick I'm not sure what to do about it. I found a spot on the passenger side timing cover that looks like it could be tapped? It looks to be in the same place as the '69 dipstick.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Dipstick hole on the pass side of the timing cover is straight-drilled, and uses an O-ring. Or just use your '69 timing cover!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Do you have a small hole on the drivers side of your block? If you have a hole in your block for a rear dip stick tube, you should tap and plug it. Don't tap and plug the dip stick hole in your timing cover. You will need to use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts