Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the deal: I got the engine and transmission out of the rust bucket, and had the block insepcted. It's junk, not to put too fine a point on it. Now I'm considering my options. My first thought was just to replace the 289 with a 302, but then I got to wondering about a 351 Windsor. Does anyone know if a 351W will fit in the engine compartment, or would it take some alterations to the engine compartment to make it fit? My first thought was that the engine should fit, but I wasn't really sure if the taller deck height would compromise the fit, and you never know 'til you ask. Thanks for any and all help!

Lab Rat

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
351W

I posted the original thread you refer to back in January of this year. Just last week I made the final decision and gave the go ahead to my mechanic to proceed (after turning over many options - rebuild the 302, put in a stroker etc.). So I decided to go ahead and build a 351W performance engine and install in place. Now my mechanic is looking for a 351 core. The mechanics shop I am dealing with in Calgary is called the Mustang Shop. These guys deal with early year mustangs and cougars. They state they have made the swap before in these cars and the only concern they have run into is the headers. The bell housing, motor mounts etc. all line up. They told me (and I have been convinced) that the engine will fit in fine and the hood will still close no problem. The only concern they voiced (besides minor things like brackets etc.) was getting the headers into place (if you plan on stock exhaust manifold it may not be as big a concern). They state depending upon the brand of header you can get them in place after motor placement but it is easier to install them as the motor goes in. They are supposed to be the experts so we'll wait and see. Other people before us have done it so I am convinced it will be done.
I am going to install hyper pistons, twisted wedge heads, dual plane edelbrock rpm performer intake, 670 Holley carb and cam is up for discussion yet. We were originally going for a flat tappet type but will now go for a later model year block using roller cam instead. They have convinced me to also install a 2400 stall converter and shift kit for the C4. I am hoping this streetable engine should put out close (or hopefully) over 400 hp.
If any one has any comments I would be happy to hear, otherwise I can keep all informed as to my cats progress.
I took the cat out for a drive tonight and stopped at a local gas station to fill up. There was a bunch of ricers around using the place as a hang out. These Hondas etc. were decked out with hood scoops, spoilers etc. All looking real tough. I can hardly wait until I get my sleeper on the road and fry some rice.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
On horsepower tv this weekend they covered a 350 out of a 302 and all the parts are from holley. havent had time to check it out but may be interesting as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, there you go! Thanks for the replies, my minds made up. Definitely going to go with the 351. Should be big fun!

Lab Rat

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 67 Cougar originally had a 390 fitted. Somewhere along the line it was replaced with a 351W with headers. It appears that no cutting was done to the towers or firewall but the mounts look as if an extra metal plate has been inserted. Anyhow it fits and the bonnet closes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
crate power

Hey there,
First of all, I like the way you think!

Have you considered the new Ford crate stroker 392 inch 351W based engine? The list of ingredients is pretty impressive.
check it out if you haven't. It's tremendous value compared to scratch building an engine.
Also, in addition to the Holley combos, check out Edelbrock too. They have lots of dyno graphs of horsepower/torque to look at and different h/p levels just like holley.
Good luck.
Kraven

·
Registered
694 Posts
My 67 has a 351W

Labrat,
My 67 has a 351W with headers and a custom exhaust underneath, it came that way when I bought it. No problems whatsoever with fit side to side or for hood clearance.
I will say, however, that mine has a pretty modified suspension on it and it handles very well, and is a little lower all around than factory heights. It has manual steering on it, but came with the power steering system that was once on it. There is a special bracket that apparently had to be installed on frame for power steering to clear everything with the headers. Good luck with yours..........Keith

·
Registered
794 Posts
check out karkraft for a complete new 351w w/ gt40 iron heads 2800$
I know you could build it for cheaper but sometimes its easier to just toss in a crate motor.

http://www.karkraft.com/engines.htm

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
For anyone who cares, that's the same Crate Motor I bought back in '94. It was one of the first ones to come out of Ford without the aluminum heads. I got it from my local Ford dealer though. It's probably the best bang for the buck dollar for dollar that I've ever spent, on the car or otherwise.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts