Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the shop manual shows both hoses going from the firewall along the intake and right valve cover. that is where i would also like them to go, but it requires a quick 90 degree turn out of the heater core, and then another 90 to parallel the intake manifold. one of the hoses does have a steel pipe spliced in that is bolted to the valve cover.

is there some trick to making those quick 90 degree turns? does it require a special hose that has a 90 degree elbow in it? thanks-

billy
1970 Cougar

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Yes, there is a AC heater hose setup (has the bend) and a non-AC hose setup (no bend). Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 90 degree elbows are molded into the hoses.

http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/07041259.html

If can figure out how to mold elbows into off the shelf heater hoses, please let us know.
the link to WCCC is a little confusing. it says those hoses are concourse for early 70 Cougars with factory or integral a/c. it also says they are correct for ALL V8's. and there is only one bended hose end, and apparently it is meant to go on the water valve.

my Cougar did have factory air, but i have removed all that and consequently no longer need the water valve. so, can you route the hoses from the heater core to the intake water outlet and the water pump with hoses without 90 degree elbows, such that they track along the carb and intake/valve cover AND don't kink coming out of the heater core?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the link to WCCC is a little confusing. it says those hoses are concourse for early 70 Cougars with factory or integral a/c. it also says they are correct for ALL V8's. and there is only one bended hose end, and apparently it is meant to go on the water valve.

my Cougar did have factory air, but i have removed all that and consequently no longer need the water valve. so, can you route the hoses from the heater core to the intake water outlet and the water pump with hoses without 90 degree elbows, such that they track along the carb and intake/valve cover AND don't kink coming out of the heater core?
anyway, the implication is that without the water valve, you don't need a hose with a 90 degree bend. i just wanted to know if anyone has successfully routed heater hoses without a 90 degree bend along the intake manifold area, like the shop manuals show.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
1969 cars with 351W with or without A/C did not use the steel tubes. The heater hoses are shown crossing over the valve cover in the 1969 Chassis manual. No sharp bends.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1969 cars with 351W with or without A/C did not use the steel tubes. The heater hoses are shown crossing over the valve cover in the 1969 Chassis manual. No sharp bends.
isn't it a pretty sharp turn out of the heater core to get up and over the valve cover? my four barrel Edelbrock is also obviously bigger than the stock two barrel carb. that also presents some additional clearance issues in that area, along with the electronic choke. still, it sounds like a standard heater hose should be able to make the turn out of the heater core and over the valve cover without a kink. anyone with a picture?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts