Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this question has been ask many times but I can not find a clear answer. I'm needing to find some headers for the 351w I just dropped in the '69. I had trouble getting the shorties that came off of it to clear the steering box and the clutch equalizer? Curious what anyone is using with a 3speed manual and 351w that fits. Or if I'm missing something to installing the headers?
Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
The 351 should be a good fit for the 69 as that is what came in them, any header that is listed for that combo. should fit nicely.
If the 351 you are using came from another style car, then maybe that is the reason the shorties wont clear.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You need a PS ram drop bracket (I have a new unused one if you need) and a set of headers epcified to work with a 69 with MT. They are available from a number of suppliers but less common than ones which fit AT.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'll look into the bracket and see if it'll give me the clearance I need. Do you have a picture of the drop bracket installed? It'd like to see to make sure we're talking about the same thing. The motor I pulled out was a '72 351w that had cast manifolds on it yet. The motor I'm putting in is a '79 351w. The shorties were used on a 80 mustang 351w swap. Now the motors going in Dads Cougar. IIRC The deck height for these is the same. 69-70 was the 9.48? compared to 9.5...? Also can you point me in the direction of some 351w headers that will work with a MT? Thanks for your time and patience.
-6T9-

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I am relatively sure that you will not get headers on one of these cars (that have power steering) without the drop bracket. As for headers, I am a 351C guy and so I have no advice to give you other than to look and see what is out there. Perhaps another member has a 351W, headers and a MT with mechanical linkage that can advise.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have Hooker Super Comps on my '69 w/ 351W, MT and mechanical linkage. They're listed for this combo, but were NOT an easy installation.
For one thing, they were clearly designed for a Mustang. Same engine bay as a Cougar, you say? Not quite. 351 equipped Mustangs didn't come with reinforced shock towers. I had interference with the reinforcements on both sides, which required a combination of slight flattening of certain header tubes and grinding of the reinforcements in order to get necessary clearance.
They were also apparently designed for a power-steering car. The pitman and idler arms are different for manual steering (which I have) so more tweaking was involved in order to get enough clearance to avoid steering linkage contact with the tubes at full steering lock.
Also be aware that they won't clear an aftermarket scattershield. Fortunately I'd bought the one on my car used, and the previous owner had already cur the necessary clearance notches.
Even with all that, they still hang lower than I'd prefer, plus the outlets are in a bad location relative to the "humps" in the transmission crossmember. This makes routing the exhaust pipes more challenging than it would be otherwise.
Hopefully someone else will chime in with a more user friendly alternative. If not, the Super Comps are well made, and do clear the clutch and shifter linkages. But they aren't a quick or easy bolt-on.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I know that sometime the install of some headers can be a mother dog, but there some that fit better than others. I think Patriot makes one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts