Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ground the heck out of the exhaust ports today on the 70 W heads, and will post some pics after I finish the job. Should have some pics by tomorrow EOD. I probably spent a few hours on those valve guide "noses". Hoping the airflow is much better, so I don't need to go the aftermarket route. Eric.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sand blasted the heads before grinding them, then threw them in the parts cleaner solution for the time being. They're now dried off thoroughly, including air gun to the threaded holes. What do I do to keep moisture from attacking them? I won't be painting them until after the stud mounts are shaved for the valve guides.

On those valve guides, is there a guide thickness that would NOT require the stud mounts to be shaved? Received some ford guides that are less than half as thick as the Comp Cams guides. Eric.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Nice work!
Bare metal, I spray on a little WD-40. When you get ready to paint, wash down with some mineral spirits.
You mean pushrod guideplates? Mill the stud bosses down the thickness of the plates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts