Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ... I admit it, I have questions about the fan clutch. How does it work, what is it's purpose, and how do you tell if one is good or bad if it is off the car?

Seriously, I look at the clutch and think ... it is physically mounted to the water pump shaft, so it can't make the fan spin any faster than the pump is already spinning it. It has what appears to be a thermostate on the front, so I am guessing that the intricate "blades" on the device itself act as an additional fan if it gets too hot?? But I am not sure.

So in the vast boxes of parts that I have, I've got two. Which one do I use? Is there a way to bench test one? Are there internal hydralics involved? I'm stumped and will differ to the gurus here to help set me straight.

Also, since the originals are filthy ... do I affect performance of the unit if I clean & paint it? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
See that coiled spring in the front? That senses your car temp and opens and closes a gate inside that allows oil to pass from one chamber to the next. If your car is running cool then the blade will freewheel thus saving horse power and reducing engine noise. When cold it should initially be hard to spin and then free up after a few turns, it should have no leaks and no wobble. They were not painted originally and do clean up nice with carb cleaner. When storing them NEVER place them mounting plate up or the fluid will leak out. We have new and used units.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts