Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Pistons on the left (passenger side) are 1-2-3-4.

You need to install them in the correct order.

I'm putting my W back together. Put the crank on and turned just fine. Aren't the pistons/rods supposed to fit in the left/passenger side as 1-3-5-7, with the right/driver side as 2-4-6-8?

Everything was going just fine with pistons/rods 1-4, all pointing towards the front of the engine. I get to piston/rod 5, and all of a sudden the number on the cod/cap was no longer showing on the passenger side of the rod, as was the case with rods 1-4. Did the machine shop screw up, or me?

With piston/rod 6, I couldn't seat the rod on the crank - oh the pain... Nothing I tried made it fit.

I also noticed that one side of the rod/cap was flat, whereas the other side had an angle grind. Aren't the flat sides supposed to be toward the other rod/cap, with the angle grind toward the crank side? I'll also post a few pics later, after I self-diffuse.

Frustrated as hell in Slinger. Eric.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Your thinking is correct, the notched side goes against the crank. Did the machine shop press a few pistons on backwards?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Passenger side front to rear 1234 drivers side front to rear 5678. Sometimes the pistons have notches to that are supposed to face the front of the block.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After heading to the local gas station for some brainwave improving beverages, imbibing a few, and finding my large block engine book, realized the left was supposed to be 1-2-3-4. Never would have thought there would have been a difference, but certainly 3-7 combo worked, whereas 5-6 rods on the third crank journal were too wide. I'll be ordering that small block engine book...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts