Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a photo of the factory placement location for an ignition coil on the 1969 3514V engine that they can share?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's where mine was, but I needed a new XR7 gauge wiring harness, and the wiring isn't long enough for the coil in that location. I thought maybe it had gotten moved.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Randy,

My 351W 2V XR7 had the coil in the location Harry shows as well. Are you sure you have the right harness?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have seen guys have the coil mounted here (inside the red circle) ... which I'm quite sure is not correct, but then again, how should I know ... lol:) Maybe they did it for the same reason; the wires were too short???

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's where mine was, but I needed a new XR7 gauge wiring harness, and the wiring isn't long enough for the coil in that location. I thought maybe it had gotten moved.
Did you buy a repo harness? The reason i ask is the same thing happened to me. Harness was to short. Odd thing is i saw on ebay a guy selling what he said was a factory extension for 351 engines. It was about a 4 inch piece that plugged in at the fire wall end of harness. Don't know if ford made that part but it did have the right conectors on both ends.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vendor's supplier must have put a CJ harness in the 351W bag. If you have that eBay ad for the harness, please share it. It's not an extender, it's the part that somehow makes the temp gauge read properly. Many cars are missing it for some reason, but all cars use it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have seen guys have the coil mounted here (inside the red circle) ... which I'm quite sure is not correct, but then again, how should I know ... lol:) Maybe they did it for the same reason; the wires were too short???

Mine is on the drivers side (USA)
090911 036.jpg

Found this picture from an Eliminator thats For Sale
9F91M572237000000-5c.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I wonder if there is/or was a difference in wiring harnesses for A/C and non A/C cars?
My car was non-A/C and had the coil on the PS.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then there has to be a difference between the original harness and the repop. If you have the coil on the passenger side, you need a longer lead wire (about 5" longer) to reach it. The repop harness will only work for a coil on the driver's side front of the engine.

I'll post a picture here when I can get one of the two harnesses side-by-side.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Odd thing is i saw on ebay a guy selling what he said was a factory extension for 351 engines. It was about a 4 inch piece that plugged in at the fire wall end of harness. Don't know if ford made that part but it did have the right conectors on both ends.
Did some carcheology on that part.

Ford part number C9ZZ-14K064-A, casting number on harness C9ZB-14K064-A.

From the MPC the application is for 1969 Mustang or Cougar with 351. 9-1/2 inch long harness with 2 ohm resistance.

I can post a picture.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Did you buy a repo harness? The reason i ask is the same thing happened to me. Harness was to short. Odd thing is i saw on ebay a guy selling what he said was a factory extension for 351 engines. It was about a 4 inch piece that plugged in at the fire wall end of harness. Don't know if ford made that part but it did have the right conectors on both ends.
Now that you mention it, my car originally had one of those! I had long since forgotten about it and had no idea what it was for, I had assumed at the time it might be a thingie that added resistance to the temp sender wire and that the temp gauge would not read correctly without it (something I think I had read somewhere along the line in the past). Have no problems (to my knowledge) with temp gauge readings though. Know anything about the temp gauge thing "not Lin"??

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Indicates to the driver the approximate water temperature in the engine.
Don't quit your day job for a career in comedy, Not-Lin!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I could not get Esmerelda to read the engine temp gauge properly until I found the "Extender" and put it back on the car. Drove me nuts for a while and I must have gone through three or four temp sending units before I figured it out. I gather from this thread that it in not unique to the CJ cars.

Scott: would love to see the two harnesses side-by side. I know Vic Yarberry makes the repops; it shouldn't be too hard to get him to make one with a longer wire for the A/C cars, if that is indeed the difference in application. I have considered opening up the tape on the repop to splice in a five inch section of wire so the thing will work, but would rather not do that if possible.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys:

I found a picture of the Intermediate Harness (we've been calling it an 'Extender') and a description that came from one of our fellow Cougar nuts when I was working on Esmerelda. Here are the details he provided:

Until 03 FEB All Cougars were equipped with a C9ZZ 14K064-A intermediate harness when using the original sender C6DZ-10884-B. After 03 FEB cars were fitted with the new C9WY-10884-A and the intermediate harness with res wire was deleted. My information makes mention only of 351s however that maybe inconclusive.

The original has a red insulator for terminal post where as the C9 sender unit has a green insulator on pole. If you're running an original Autolite sender that might be helpful by color to determine what you have. If you're running an aftermarket sender then you're going to have a higher than middle reading as the aftermerket ones are crap and don't read properly. The NOS Autolite 66 one is very hard to find as is the C9 green one. The ones Ford sells now are Motorcraft; I am unsure of whether they are correct or not. It's an expensive sender ($85 or something ridiculous).

C9ZZ.jpg

I do not know if this information is correct, but buying an expensive sender from my Ford dealer and putting the intermediate harness back in fixed the temp sending problem.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Randy, the example I found still mounted in one of my fresh kills, looks basically like in your picture. Not really an extension, (because of the way it's looped) but an added resistance wire, for use with that specific temperature sender.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts