Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the new bypass restrictor from wccc to use the windsor style thermostat at 160 degrees. Now how do you remove the old plate without damaging anything important? Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The original restrictor plates are just pressed into
the cast iron block. Try using a small slide-hammer
dent puller to pop it out.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just curious, why did you opt for the new design instead of keeping it original, or as original in design so to speak? I know there is a huge price difference :smoke:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Slide hammer is the way to do it. To answer CatsRock, you can never find the correct thermostat from any parts store...they always give you one for a Windsor and the copper hat is smaller which will cause all kinds of overheating. I used the aluminum one from Pantera Performance with great success on my Cleveland. The new hole is a little bit bigger than a pin hole.

·
Registered
945 Posts
So true, as with almost everything on the old clevelands, I went through the thermostat nightmare unknowingly untill someone pointed out the difference, luckily WCCC had the correct one. Same thing when I rebuilt the carb, now I pretty much bypass the local auto parts and go directly to the cougar / mustang / pantera shops. :smoke:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Def worth the 20 something bucks from WCCC. On a record hot day in Evansville, In at 108 degrees the car was driven a while. She never went over 200. Im so happy with this upgrade, get the wccc part and a 160 thermostat and your problems are cured!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I may go down that road in the future, I went with the original / old style thermostat also from WCCC trying to keep the originality theme and also not wanting to admit defeat :smoke:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts