Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there that can give me a hint as to what to look for while trying to identify a pair of dirty/rusty old heads that the seller claims are 351CJ 4V heads.

These heads have been sitting on this guys shelf with about 50 set of other weird and wonderful heads for about 20 years and I'm not sure I trust his memory (he couldn't remember my name after the third time of telling him over a 10 minute period). All I know is that the exhaust studs sit on the diagonal like my 351C 2V heads and that both the intake and exhaust valves are huge....I mean humungous!

Anyway, would like to know what to look for....there doesn't appear to be any casting marks to speak of so I'm stumped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dale

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
351C-4V head ID

The casting number is on the bottom side of one of the intake ports. Usually D1ZE or D3ZE or D0OE, etc. I have a book somewhere(?) around here with all of the casting numbers.... Post yours and we'll see what you have there!

The date code is probably buried in the sludge under the valve cover. first digit=year. second character will be A through M for month (no letter 'I' used) A-Jan, B-Feb and so on. The last one or two digits will be the day of the month.

See why I call myself a 'Senior Motorhead' by my screen name? :D

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
351C-4V head ID

Thanks for the help Courrcj...it pays to have a senior motorhead around here. I will go back out to this guys shop and see if we can't scrape enough dust and grease off to locate some of the casting numbers and I will get back to you.

Thanks again....BTW, you wouldn't be able to suggest where I could track down a Eliminator Stripe Kit could you?

Thanks

Dale

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Badcat,

Follow the link that Logan provided to a reply I had made concerning Cleveland heads. Either that or look it up also on the thread Aussie Cleveland Heads (sorry, I don't know how to link in a reply...) As you can see, there is much, much more to it than just looking for a '4'!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks for the history lesson, but I believe all I commented on was "if it had a 4 it was a 4-v head. The guy said he had the heads off and he could obviously check the casting number.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts