Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1971 cougar with a 351 Cleveland 2v, to upgrade my performance my guess would be to throw on a 4 barrel carb and a 4 barrel intake, I read you weren't supposed to put a 4 barrel intake, on a 2v Clevnd is that true? If so is there a way to add a 4 barrel carb with a 2v intake, also would an efi system be even more powerful and efficient?

·
Registered
149 Posts
There are several aftermarket 4v intakes for the 2v heads. Edelbrock Performer is probably the most popular. EFI would be totally custom for the cleveland. A 4v intake and carb and you will be doing just fine.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You shouldn't use a factory 4V intake on a 2V since the ports on a 4V are HUGE and will be a mis-match to the smaller 2V ports in your heads. Aftermarket 4-barrel intakes that are made for the smaller 2V port size are just fine. Use a 525-600cfm vacuum secondary carb and you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
True about the port mismatch putting a Ford 4V manifold on 2V heads, but people used to do it before aftermarket 4V for 2V heads manifolds became available. A non-optimum and now obsolete mod, but people did do it and it worked, how well I don't know. One would use 4V gaskets if one were to do this.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Fuel injection is now out there for the Cleveland. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-51600118/ Pricey, but there. It would just be a matter of collecting parts, but I wouldn't say it is a total custom setup. It could be done much cheaper with one of those injection thottle bodies that look like a carb though.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
To the OP, if you can handle some other mechanical work, a cam/timing chain replacement would be you next biggest bang-for-the-buck. Nothing outrageous, either. Just a cam like the cheapie Summit cam/lifter kit works wonders in a Cleveland!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Not for nothing, but a 2V Cleveland is just fine with the right stuff, in fact best on the street (vs. 4V) in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Not for nothing, but a 2V Cleveland is just fine with the right stuff, in fact best on the street (vs. 4V) in my opinion.
I will attest to that.

Not only that, but I have seen side by side dyno numbers of the same engine, but with heads swapped between pulls, and the peak differance was only 10 horses and somewhere around 20 lbs/ft of torque.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts