Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i was wondering if someone might have info on changing my 351c to 302? i've currently got a 351c/fmx in my 70 it runs but smokes real bad and seems tired i got a chance to pickup a 302 it's in a 90 bronco 4x4 is this a direct swap? I want to keep my cleavland just don't have the funds to rebuild it now and i really want to drive my car it been over a year. Also it has fuel injection(302) what would it take to convert my car to that if possible? Thanks Dennis

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
does it smoke when you start it up or continues to when your driving? if its only when you start it up it may be just it needs new valve seals. But i think ya may need new motor mounts and not hard to change it back to a carb setup from FI.
thanks
pat

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Pat, it does smoke at start up, but pass side smokes bad all the time i changed plugs and one of the plugs on pass side was real bad looked completly diff than the other ones(oily), also i think i might have a bad headgasket on that side i'm getting anti freeze dripping from the valve cover area not real bad thought . But it's dark blue smoke the thing is it runs good and keeps good oil pressure, i just want to drive it i sat in it today and just listened to the radio, that helped a little

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
stray
i hear ya it wont take much to put that 302 in put a new intake,carb exhaust manifolds,and motor mounts and new hoses and fluids and it should be a easy swap. Definately sounds like the 351c needs a fresh rebuild. Nows the time to tear it apart n bore it, have headwork new pistons cam n build it right n ya have a sweet 351c
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
sorry DENNIS lol..

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I think the ps pump bracket is different, rad end may be also (different locations). The torque convertor may need changing, but not sure on that. The oil pan too, the 5.0 used a double hump pan. Didnt the 302 use a 10 inch convertor and a 351C use a 11in???? you will need the ignition box from the 5.0L or change it to points.
Go for it, if the 5.0 runs good, its just alot of little things that will need changing
Rick

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
You're talking about some bucks if you want to keep the EFI.
New wiring harness, electric fuel pump, regulator for fuel pump, et al can add up in the 1000 + dollars area.
Going carbureted can be way cheaper though.
I'm doing the same swap to my 70 right now, in fact.
I was going to do the EFI swap, but my car was vandalized last fall after I set the engine into it. Now, I'm going with the carb setup.
I'm looking forward to being able to change spark plugs and header gaskets without fear of dislocating my thumbs. ( I have enormous hands...) I'm also looking forward to the 302 running cooler in town.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you plan to go back to the 351C in the future, skip the EFI swap idea. It takes a lot of work to put the wiring harness, MAF, and other related stuff in to make EFI work. I've done this swap, it isn't easy. If you want to see the gory details, the TCCN archives has the articles I wrote on putting a 5.0HO EFI in a 69. The easier route for you would be to change the 5.0 distribtor to a points style (don't forget to match the cam gear to the correct type for the roller 5.0 cam, the original cam gear is made out of the wrong type metal and will shred itself on the roller cam.), add a carb and carb intake, new exhaust manifolds, and find some 302 accy brackets. The 351C PS and Alt will bolt up to the 302 but you will need to find 302 brackets, the 351C ones will not work. I think you might be able to reuse the 351C motor mounts which would be good since finding new 302 ones seem to be tough lately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts