Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 351C 2v that i've build in my 71 cougar right now that I would love to put in a 67-68 cougar that I have just begging for life sitting in a field. Can't remember if its a 67 or 68 but if I remember right the only major differences was in the suspension setup.

My questions is what all would I need. I'm sure you hear that alot lol

It has a 289 with a c4 and 8" rear end in it right now. The c4 would need to be rebuilt if I kept it. The 71 I currently drive has a FMX that works great, but I'd rather not put that heavy/big of a tranny in there for obvious reasons.

Motor mounts?
bellhousing?
ect.

Thanks, all input appreciated :)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Bolt in and go. Mounts are the same, C-4 will bolt right up to the 351C. You'd just need radiator hoses for a 70 with a 351C. The problem is with power steering pump and brackets for 67-8 style power steering vs 71-up.

Remember that Ford considered the C-4 a light duty trans. All 351s - both W and C - got FMX medium-duty or C-6 heavy-duty. If you build the C-4 with good parts, it should hold up to street use. If your 351 is built up at all, you might want to consider the six-pinion planetary gearset for the C-4. The stock three-pinion planetary can't handle a lot of torque. That's their Achilles Heel.

8" rear should be good enough - but again, all 351 cars got the heavier-duty 9". The 9" housing from your 71 will be too wide for the smaller 67/8. The problem with the 8" is it is tougher to find a posi unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bolt in and go. Mounts are the same, C-4 will bolt right up to the 351C. You'd just need radiator hoses for a 70 with a 351C. The problem is with power steering pump and brackets for 67-8 style power steering vs 71-up.

Remember that Ford considered the C-4 a light duty trans. All 351s - both W and C - got FMX medium-duty or C-6 heavy-duty. If you build the C-4 with good parts, it should hold up to street use. If your 351 is built up at all, you might want to consider the six-pinion planetary gearset for the C-4. The stock three-pinion planetary can't handle a lot of torque. That's their Achilles Heel.

8" rear should be good enough - but again, all 351 cars got the heavier-duty 9". The 9" housing from your 71 will be too wide for the smaller 67/8. The problem with the 8" is it is tougher to find a posi unit.
Okay that makes me feel alot better. Two more questions on what you said.

What would be needed to fit the FMX in the 67 (shifter location/parts, crossmember, ect.) could I get the tranny mounts/crossmember I currently have and "make" them work for the 67? I know I would have to get a different drive shaft but other than that. And which would be easier to keep, the 67 power steering setup, try and port over the one from the 71, or just rid of it all together?

Whats the usual $ on building up a C4?

Also is it possible to use the 9" from my 71, find a 9" that is the right track width for the 67 and just swap over the shorter axle shafts from the 67 into the one I currently have for the 71 and weld on the shorter "axles tubes?" i dont know exactly what theyre called. Not sure if they have the same spline setup ect for that to be possible

Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
yup - if you locate a housing for a cat - you could just use your pumpkin in it (unless it already has one of course) - I doubt you would run into a spline count issue, most are 28 - but it wouldn't hurt to check. FMX trans' have a bell housing that bolts onto the trans. Depends on what it came off of (big block/small block)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Youll find the cleveland fits better than the 289 does... Use the high performance urathane motor mounts too, the rubber factory ones are too soft if youve built ur motor at all. I'd also upgrade your radiator...351Cs tend need more coolinf power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts