Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Being a former Chevy guy (and I mean FORMER) I'm kind of new to the Cougar family. I recently purchased a mint 71 Cougar with a 351C/2V and wanted to do a few simple mods to the engine. Headers, a 4V and dual exhaust is all I'm looking at but I hear that the heads have to be changed for a 4V. Is this true? Since it's a little underpowered as is, can I get the needed horsepower increase by just using the 2V heads and changing to an Edelbrook intake and carb, adding the headers and duals? Also, if anyone can help on where to get a decent pair of headers that will fit let me know. I'm in Tampa Florida. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The 2v heads are good too, more for low to mid power. great for the street. i was tinking about putting my 2v heads on my 351c 4v.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
351C Help

Thanks Bowl. So what you're saying is keep the 2V heads, put on a nice intake and new 2V, and run the headers and duels and I'll be ok. I'm assuming the headers are different for the 2V and 4V heads. Any suggestions on getting the headers for the 2V? Thanks!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Edelbrock makes a good intake for 2V heads to put a 4 barrel on it. Put a 650 VS if auto, or DP if 4 speed, not sure about what headers fit your car, but go with a 2 1/2in. full exhaust with h-pipe and good turbo mufflers. No point in getting flowmasters unless you really plan on building it up, just a waste of expense I think. The 4V headers are just bigger as the ports are bigger. My friend has 4V headers on his 2V Mustang, and says it's awesome compared to his other set of headers, so either one is good I think, so whatever is in your price range I guess. Hooker super comps are awesome BUT expensive, and not necesarry on a stock driver. Good luck and have fun, and welcome to the land of COUGAR.

Rick

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
351C help

Thanks guys. I'm just trying to push a few more horses so I appreciate the help. My nephew has a pair of flowmasters he bought for his Monte Carlo (that is a car isn't it?) that he's willing to sell for $75. With your help it looks like I'm on my way. I bought the car, with 50,000 miles, from the original owner who still has the title from 1971! I'll post some pics later. Thanks again for the help!!
Tony

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
For $75. use them. They are 125.Canadian each here, and thats way to expensive for my daily driver Fairlane. I use 20. Flowtech Raptors. They sound nice and I dont have a problem with noise. Id like to see pix of it in the gallery when you snap some. Happy Cougarin'

Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My buddies kids 73 mustang has a 2v cleavland with the Eldebrock 4v manifold, 600 holley vac sec and headers. It runs very, very good. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
bowl said:
The 2v heads are good too, more for low to mid power. great for the street. i was tinking about putting my 2v heads on my 351c 4v.
he he.... im trying to get a complete 351C 2bbl.... wanna trade if i get them?? i was just gonna sell the heads but if you can use them ill trade. :D

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
No thanks, my parts car has a complete 351c 2v. I am not sure the air breather is original (on the parts car). if i post a pic, could someone tell if it is for a 70 ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts