Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there have recommendations on "GOOD" headers to consider for a 351C 4V 70 Cougar. I always hear of the problems that everyone has with linkages, power steering, exhaust leaks, etc, etc, etc...

I have been told by a couple of people that there is a fellow in my area who custom builds, custom fit headers and he isn't that much more expensive than buying off the shelf stuff. Everything fits proper when he's done and he has some trick to eliminate any leaks....

Just thought I would get everyone's opinions well in advance of actually buying anything. I know some of you wouldn't dream of putting headers on but I do not have 4V exhaust manifolds and have always wanted to give headers a try anyway. So lay your thoughts on me for consideration.

Thanks

Dale

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
That's an easy one...

Hooker Super Competition headers. Part # for 4v heads is 6210 or 6210-1 (Ceramic coated version)...1-7/8 primaries... WILL NOT WORK with C6.

If you have a C6, or want bigger primaries, go with 6211 or 6211-1 (Ceramic)....2" primaries, but shorter length to allow room for a C6.

Both the above are specifically for a 1970 Mustang/Cougar with a 4V 351C in it...

I don't believe you have to use the P/S drop bracket, but if you do decide to, make sure it gets WELDED in place...

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Logan...I knew someone out there had the info I needed. Perfect! Isn't it better to go with the larger primaries? Better flow?

Dale

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Better Flow? On a 4v Cleveland? I'd rather restrict it!! The valves on the 4v heads are larger than most BIG blocks... Those heads don't need no help flowing, in fact they can stand a bit of restriction.. They'd actually work better with a bit of back pressure me thinks... Still, 1 7/8 primaries are still huge...

It kinda works out anyway... On the 2" primaries, the overall length is two inches shorter at the collector to make room for the C6...

The 1-7/8's are smaller diameter primaries but longer collectors...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Big tube headers are used primarily in circle track racing where the engine is running at a constant high rpm.
If you don't mind your engine not making any hp or torque till 4000+ rpm then big tube headers are a good choice.
They generally suck on street/strip cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts