Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for any info or suggestions on a good performance mechanical fuel pump for clevelands. The only one I have found is a Holley - Up to 80 gallons per hour (free flow) 7-1/2 PSI shutoff pressure. Will this be enough to feed nearly 400hp?
How hard would it be to rig up an electric fuel pump?

Thanks,
Cody

·
Registered
145 Posts
installing the electric fuel pump is easy. i am using a ac delco(i know, i know) thats self regulated to 6.5 psi fuel pressure and is good for at least 400 hp. i highly recommend using a relay. painless wiring has free instructions to download for wiring electric fans, fuel and h2O pumps with a relay. here's the link:

www.painlesswiring.com

on a side note, i opted to make my own fuel pump block off plate. I left the stud in the block from the factory and used the regular bottom bolt with a spacer and a nut just incase i get stranded by my electric pump and have to use the mechanical pump to get home.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Fuel pumps for 400 hp are no big thing. The holley mechanical will be just fine although 7 1/2 lbs pressure maybe a little on the high side. Then again depending on the carb it maybe fine also.

I have had good luck with the eledbrock pumps, although I didnt look to see if they list the Cleavland application.

Electric pumps are ok but I question the relialbility factor with them. mm

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Holley pump is now out of the question, they quit making them for Clevelands, and Edelbrock doesn't make one either. The only other mechanical pumps(that I can find) are made by Mr. Gasket and Mallory. The Mister Gasket pump has way more pressure than I need - 8psi. The Mallory Pump has 6-8psi, and flow 70 g.p.m.

I have an Edelbrock Carb, and I think that it's supposed to run at around 6 1/2 psi. Could I just use a pressure regulator?

If I was to use an electric pump, would I need to run a fuel return line?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Mallory pump

I've run the Mallory for years. Dead nuts copy of the Holley. I always run a regulator. The Edelbrock seems less sensitive to the pressure than the Holley did.

Bill

clevelandcougar said:
The Holley pump is now out of the question, they quit making them for Clevelands, and Edelbrock doesn't make one either. The only other mechanical pumps(that I can find) are made by Mr. Gasket and Mallory. The Mister Gasket pump has way more pressure than I need - 8psi. The Mallory Pump has 6-8psi, and flow 70 g.p.m.

I have an Edelbrock Carb, and I think that it's supposed to run at around 6 1/2 psi. Could I just use a pressure regulator?

If I was to use an electric pump, would I need to run a fuel return line?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes you may use a regulator if needed. I reccomend the Holley.

No a electric pump shouldnt need a return line and you may use a regulator on it if needed also. Some have adjustable regulators built in.

Just for the record I just put a new eldebrock carb on my truck (Hurrah! No more fuel inj!!) and its running fine with 6 1/2 lbs at the carb. mm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts