Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I bolt an AOD up to a '70 351C block? I would really like the extra fuel economy. It's a 2V block out of a torino.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes

As long as it is a small block or 6cyl AOD yes. A 351 c uses the same bellhousings. Be aware of the 302 flywheel as they changed the balance of some of the later ones to 50 oz instead of 28oz. 6clys are nuetral balanced and you cant use that. A 351C is a 28 oz balance.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
AOD

The AOD is almost a bolt in swap. I put one into wvcat last winter with only minor obstacles. First my car is a 70 but the swap should be the same. Ok here goes, the AOD will bolt right up to your block but you will need the block plate and converter to go with it. Iwas able to reuse my stock FMX flywheel with no modifications. The starter bolts are in the same location but the top hole will have threads on the block and the starter. I drilled my starter housing hole out and reused my existing starter. One of the FMX cooling lines line right up the other is too short. The stock shifter can be reused but it has a different amount of travel. Mine worked out with park in the normal position and low in the second position. The stock speedometer cablelines right up but you will have to change the gear to match your gear ratio. I am using a 21 tooth gear with 3:73's and 275/60/15 tires. My driveshaft also worked but you will need the yoke that matches the AOD or one from a toploader. Thats all the easy stuff, heres the challenge. You will need to fabricate a crossmember,I made mine out of 1 1/2 square tubing. I also know someone that makes them but his wouldn't work with my exhaust so I made one.
One more thing.... when you buy the trans get one from a 89 or newer stang with a 5.0. The newer transmissions have improved oiling and the stang trans has the correct lever on the side but it will need pulled out and rotated 180 degrees. The only thing else you need is a throttle cable, I am using a lokar cable(69.95 at you friendly speed shop). I also installed a bauman engineering shift kit.
If you need any other questions answered I'dbe glad to help.
John
wvcat
http://www.geocities.com/wvxr7cougar/wvcat_01.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts