Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never driven or rode in a 351C4V car. I was wondering how bad ass the (1970)4v Cleavland is compared to the 2v or the 351W? looking at the specs. it is one tough monkey.

thanks,

richard

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
The 4V Cleveland is bad azz, at least mine was. It had a 4 speed so it rocked, could get the rpm's up quick. My friends 2V was quick to and he had an auto, so.... 4V with standard, and 2V with auto.

Rick

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
70 4V Cleveland

I can tell you that a 70 4V Cleveland has lotsa guts in stock trim. My wife's 70 Mach 1 is a 4V Cleveland with a FMX and 3.25 open rear end. Gobs of low end torque. Sets you right back in the seat! Wife's car is all original. 21k miles. No modifications to it at all. When we took it to the track years ago, it would run 15.0s babying it out of the hole so we wouldn't smoke the right hind tire. Wife won't let me put a posi in it -- go figure!

The books I have say that a 70 4V Cleveland has 300hp. Believe it! A 2V Cleveland has 250hp. Supposedly, a 2V Windsor also puts out 250, while a 4V Windsor is 290. These figures according to the book Mustang Does It.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pneumatic actuated posi trak

Pneumaticlly actuated posi trak system.
I saw one on TV one Sunday. only posi when you want it, pretty slick. i think i saw it in a magazine too, bout a year or 2 ago.

·
Registered
103 Posts
351C - 4V is the shiat.
Canted combustion. 2.19 intake valves. Ports that you can almost get your fist into. 11 - 1 compression. Unbreakable crank.
Depending on how you look at it needs zero head work to be a good runner. (Lots of racers raise the exhaust ports)
On the down side because of all the oversized valve-train they don't make a lot of low rpm torque and require big stalls when cam'd up. (or 4-speeds)
351C -2V compared to a Chev is still pretty kick ass.
No canted valves. No huge intake/exhaust valves/ports but still bigger then Chev stuff.
351W is also a really good runner.
Heads are easily brought up to speed with bigger valves and some port and bowl work.
GOBS of low end torque.
Heads bolt on from 289/302 family so lots of aftermarket parts available.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
the 351C 2V is canted valve, just smaller valves and street friendly ports and open chamber.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinkin that i will use my 2v heads and put the 4v s on the shelf. Or. not?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am gonna use the 2V heads

Ok Bowl,
i have a 351C 2V, and it is a strong motor, plus with a little head work these heads really rock! I have don a lot of research and found that the 2V's work great for street use. if you plan on just racing then go with the 4V's but then again i am still new and i am only refering to my research and not full on experiance like the other guys.
Just a opinion

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Like Mark said, 4V heads rock. But Id only play with them with a better convertor (3000 stall or up) or a 4 speed. The 2V heads are PERFECT for the street, occasional strip use, and doesnt take much to clean up. Use the 2V with a good aftermarket intake for 2V heads, a 750 VS carb, good headers or dual exhaust, the car will fly as is.

Rick

·
Registered
600 Posts
VS?

ok what is a VS carb and is 750 too big for a stock 351C?
lol
and headers well thats a bit mor money than i want to spend.
lol
Oh one other ?
will my 2V air cleaner fit a 4bbl carb?
i am trying to go sleeper on this one but if not then i will put a aftermarket one witha K&N

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would probably use the stock 2v intake too.
But i will have to drive it the way it is now just to experence it.
Doing laps around my property. (no deed restrictions)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
2V vs 4V Cleveland heads

One good comparison for this is the Big Block Chevy oval port vs square port heads. Oval port heads are better suited for street use, while the square ports come into their own at wide-open-throttle use above 4500rpm.

I went with the low buck approach with my 396 BBC in my Camaro. It had oval port heads, but I installed the bigger exhaust valves of the square port heads. Still hydraulic cammed, but one of the nastiest I could find back then. This motor had nice street driving qualities, but once I back-halfed the car, this same motor was propelling me to a best of [email protected] That translates to somewhere between 425 and 460 horsepower! Not bad for an oval port 396!

What I'm trying to say is go ahead with the 2V heads on your Cleveland. They can be made to run sweet for the street! Plenty of go-power under the skinny pedal!

OK, carb size. VS = Vacuum secondaries. My stock 351C-4V in BetaCat actually goes better with the 600cfm vac sec carb I have. AlphaCat has a much modified 351C-4V engine. It likes its 780 vac sec carb, although it actually ran better with a 735 vac sec from a 428CJ, but my buddy wouldn't let that carb go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts