Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, i was wondering if someone could tell me if there is any sure way to tell the difference between 351c-351m i've got a cleveland in my 70 i know it's got 8 bolts on vavle covers, got a chance to pic up whats supposed to be cleveland what year ?. I would like to know what else to look for, are the bolts on 351m/400 valve covers diff? clevelands are getting harder to find around here so i don't want let it slip by if it is a cleveland thanks Dennis:1zhelp: p.s. anyone know what a decent price for cleveland is? not sure if its a 2v or 4v im gonna look at it tommorow or this weekend

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
the valve covers will interchange on the car. ummm, if the heads are stock you can look on them. on the drivers side head, look on the corner where the valve cover flange is. there will be a 2 there if they are 2bbl heads, a 4 if they are 4bbl ones, if there is an M its a 351/400 M or if its blank its an M too. umm i have a pic somewhere of some legit Cleveland heads. ( some i just have lying around.... he he ) hmm ill find the link where they are on the site and post it again here...

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Since you already have a Cleavland the easist way to tell is to measure how wide your intake mainfold is. The 351 m will use a wider manifold because of the taller deck height. Also the bell hosuing pattern is different and quite apparent. I also have a rebuildable 2v 351c laying in my garage I would GIVE you if you wanted to take a couple hrs drive to pick it up. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
heres the number on the head. to be honest im really not sure how to tell about the block itself. maybe look at the date code on it. should start with a Dthen a number afterwards. ( D0 = 1970 D1 =1971 either way those are early blocks, most likely a Cleveland up to err, 73 i think. maybe 74 )

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
and im just showing this pic cuz it makes me feel cool to have a rare set of heads in my garage doing nothing lol

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Oh yeah mister big shot, I have two sets of Cleveland heads sitting around one of the 4V quench variety, and one of the 2V variety.:p:

Anyways...The two bolts on the top of the bell housing are about 3/4 to 1" farther apart on a Modified than they are on a Cleveland.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
oh yeah? mine are the quench variety and i will soon have a complete 2bbl Cleveland as well. so HA!! and i bet ill pay less for that too. i can get the heads for $40 !!! ha ha ha!! i paid 200 for the quench heads though, but 70 castings with the big ass valves?? sweeet

·
Registered
889 Posts
plug size too

I think te spark plug holes are different.the cleveland takes the smaller ones the mod. takes larger .also my ford parts interchang book says the thermostat housing is on the block also it says to look for-DOAE-D this is a 2 bolt main or DOAE-C and D3ZE-A these numbers mean a 4 bolt main you dont have to pull the pan Dan if I am worng on the plug hey what aer leftys for.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Oh Yeah?? Well my 4V quench heads are also 70 castings, but I only paid $100 (extra sweet). So Ha Ha Ha

I just dug out the book "How to Rebuild Ford V8 Engines" by Tom Monroe (this is by far the best book I ever read)
And he says: The engine code for a 351M is H, and the deck height is 10.297 inches versus the Clevelands 9.206 inches

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys for the info i'll take some measurements on mine i just dont want to end up with a 351m , thanks mark if this motor is a 2bb i'll pass on it and get back with you thanks again Dennis

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The thermostat housings are the same and in the same place. Also the plugs are the same as they use the same heads. Unfortunatly I have some experiance with the POS 351/400m.mm

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Easiest way to tell

The 351C and 351M/400 are members of the same engine family, with one important difference -- deck height. They use the same oil pan, heads, timing set, cams...

The easiest way to tell a 351C from the taller-block351M/400 cousins is to look at where the distributor bolts down. If your intake manifold/block gasket is even with the distributor flange, you have a 351 Cleveland. If the intake/block joint is about an inch higher than the distributor flange, you have a 351M/400. Also, most 351M/400s I have seen have a 1/2" thick, 1" high 'wall' or cast-in ridge coming forward from the intake/block area to the front of the block casting (timing cover area) making it a PITA to get a wrench on the distributor hold down bolt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts