Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first cougar it has a 2barrel carb an intake and i would like to know what you have to do to change it, and if anyone knows where to get the parts for cheepit would be very much appriceated. Do you have to get new heads and hedders?

If you can see my email address I used to dirve an 85 chevy monte carlo ss but it got stolen.
I have always like the cougar design so I got one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dad seems to think(mind that his opinion does not have any real effect on my actions) that the car and engine is too old to put something that will make it go faster is this true.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
NO. If it smokes, and run like a bag of sh!t, then maybe. If anything, it will run better and give you more gas milage from a better fuel/exhaust system. Putting on dual exhaust on the stock exhaust is a big help as well.

Rick

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm actually installing a 351 Cleveland Edelbrock Performer for 2V heads, and I'm putting on a Holley Street Avenger 670cfm carb. Its going on a 1974 Cougar which is a heavy ass car, so I need the extra power. I'm also bumping up the cam to a Comp Cams 268H camshaft and getting headers, so hopefully I'll get more performance so that this big ass car will move quickly.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Another young cat. Cool. I've also got a 351C & plan a simmilar mod. Also plan to resto and redo a lot of it. Hey Rick, d'ya got 2 of those intakes, just in case I can scrape up the money for you? That way, both me and Robbiebaer can each have one?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I only have one. :( sorry guys. I have a cool set up for the motor, check this out

I have the bathtub gasket (no end seals) and rubber valve cover gaskets as well, 160 delivered :)

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Gaskets in set

How fresh are the gaskets? Have they ever been on a motor that ran? I'm still a little reluctant to bite. I'm really just trying to get the cougar safe for me to drive right now.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My 2V Cleveland was changed to 4V. Holley 650 and Edelbrock intake manifold. Not much cost involved and it sounds a lot better than 2V. Goes fast, too.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
the gaskets came out of gasket kit. They are NEW. No worries, I just might build up another cleveland for something if I dont sell them :)

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
My dad seems to think(mind that his opinion does not have any real effect on my actions) that the car and engine is too old to put something that will make it go faster is this true.
There is absolutely NO such thing as an old cougar, only a mature one, these cats were made for speed, so go get that 4V from Dark, you won't regret it. If I lived a couple of miles closer I would grab them.:)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Rick

I recently got a promotion at work. I should have the raise that accompanies it within a couple of weeks. I'm probably gonna buy the part off you, so email me or something with the necessary contact info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts