Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to figure out what the correct firing order is on my 351 windsor with a mild cam. Buddy said if it has a cam its the firing order of a 302. Mine dont seem to match 351 windsor or the 302. Help please!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to pull the valve covers and watch the rockers while you turn the motor over.

When he says, "Has a cam" I suppose he's talking about it having been replaced so it could be either.

If possible, you should also degree the cam while you are at it and that may help in IDing what you have installed.

TG

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
So I am trying to figure out what the correct firing order is on my 351 windsor with a mild cam. Buddy said if it has a cam its the firing order of a 302. Mine dont seem to match 351 windsor or the 302. Help please!
What is going on, that you need to "figure out the firing order"? is it not running at all, running rough, hard to start?
or, did someone install the cam, and give up?

·
Registered
383 Posts
My 351W also has an aftermarket 302 cam in it. No clue why, but would've been nice to know since I got the sparkplugleads connected for a 351W :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 289, 302 and 351-W are the same engine except for the deck height/stroke. All have 4" bore with the stroke being 2.87, 3.0 and 3.5" respectively. When the cylinder on a 289 and 302 are at top dead center compression stroke the 351 is at top exhaust stroke. They are 180 degrees different. Which means you can use a 289/302 cam in a 351-w. Just wire it to whatever the cam was designed for. The firing order for a 289/302 is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 while the 351-W's firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. I had a 69 Cougar back in high school (mid 70's) and rebuilt the 351-W. Crane, Comp Cams etc. did not offer a hi performance cam for the 351-W at the time unless you wanted to pay for a custom grind. What I did was use a Crane Fireball 289 cam (.464 lift, 292 deg duration with 72 deg overlap.) and wired the system up as a 289. Worked great. Just be sure to let the next owner (sold the car in 82) know what you did. He tried wiring it as a 351-W after a tune up and went nuts trying to get it running right!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally figured out that it was 302 firing order. Instead of the #1 being to the right of the cap clip. It was on the side close to me. But it was still in time. I had a bad cap in the end. I initially thought the previous owner had a wire crossed up. Ive had quite a few things not put together correctly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts