Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question to all of you exceptional Cougar Friends. Will a set of 302 shortie headers work on a 351 windsor. I have seen adds that say there headers are desined for 289-351w and other adds that name the 351w as a seperate header. I have three sets of 302 h.o. headders off 85 mustangs and a set of bbk's from an 86-93....will they work on my 68 Cougar with a 351 windsor?
thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
They will bolt to your heads thats for sure. The 351 is taller and a little wider than the 302. I am not real familiar with the shortys but I think they may work for you as your going to have to go with a custom exhaust anyway. In fact they may work out real well without the long tubes and collectors getting in the way of the steering and transmission.mm

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
mm....is the bolt pattern the same on the 351W as the 289????? I always thought there was a difference there....:confused:

Dale

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
A Windsor is a Windsor is a Windsor

All small block heads use the same exhaust bolt pattern. 221, 260, 289, 302, 351W all use the same bolt pattern. The 351 Windsor does have a taller block to accomidate the 1/2" longer stroke required. Also, since the block is taller, that makes it wider. That's why the intake manifolds are different.

FYI I have a set of Mustang GT shorties on my 'tweaked' 89 Grand Marquis. They fit exactly in the same place as the factory cast iron manifolds. The only modification is that the outlet of the headers has a bigger pipe diameter requirement so you have to upgrade the size of head pipe. I used a set of high-flow catalysts since I had to remain emission check legal.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Since the body styles are totaly different, I would check with a manufacturer before I tried to install them.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You know I got to thinking and I'm not sure If the headers your talking about will clear the steering box on the drivers side. If they fit in the same place as a cast manifold they may clear. You should be able to take a tape measure and get an idea if they will clear or not. At first I was thinking of the street rod block hugging type shortys. I always thought they might work even though they wouldnt give the best flow # they would sure give a person more room for the rest of the exhaust and still would be a good improvement over stock manifolds. I know cougarcj knows the differance but he forgot to mention that the 351's made in the great state of Ohio have there own two styles of exhaust manifolds. They are small blocks too right? Even if they do take up almost as much room as a FE bigblock. Heck prplcat, you already have them handy, get your tape mesure out and check it out, you got nothing to lose. Let us know how it turns out. mm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts