Mercury Cougar Owners banner

351 Windsor H code improvements.

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Peter Lynn 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.
My '69 H code 351 is running well at present but I would like to perhaps bring it up to the same level as the 4bbl M code. I am looking for some suggestions that won't break the piggy bank, as costs here in Western Australia can really start to climb when it comes to engine work.
I have been looking around (including on this forum) to find out the precise differences between the two versions without much luck. I have had the car since 2008, and when purchased was almost a clone of the Ebay 69 in Light Ivy Green with that funny green color interior but with the decore package. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Muscle car

See less See more
#2 ·
The 4v 351w had flat top pistons for aprox 10.7 compression
The 2v had dish pistons for aprox 9.5 compression.
The 4v obviously had a 4v carb and intake, also dual exhaust.

The heads and cam were the same.
If you want power start with the heads and headers.

#3 ·
4-barrel intake of your choice, (Weiand Action plus or Stealth, Edelbrock Performer or Performer RPM,...), $200 USD
4 barrel carb of your choice (Edelbrock/Carter, Holley) but no larger than 600cfm and vacuum secondary, $300 USD
mild aftermarket cam (Comp Cams XE262H, Crane Z-268-2 or equivalent), lifters, valve springs $300 USD
new timing set (just because you're in there anyway...) $50
Maybe a set of headers, but for a mild daily driver they are not needed
Dual exhaust is a must. 2- or 2-1/4" back to mufflers, stock 2" tailpipes $200

Of course, you could shop the local swap meets for used intake and carb and bring those costs down some...

#4 ·
Thank you both for your help. It's quite surprising to see how much extra power just the high compression pistons and 4 barrel could deliver. I guess the possibility of actually finding original parts (plus the cost) make attempting to replicate the M code out of the question. Anyways, I certainly have some stuff to think about with this. The H code pulls very well down low but flatlines comparitively quickly as revs rise. Parts etc are so cheap stateside, when I order I still want to get the correct stuff.
Milo, that's a really nice collection you have there- I'm really fascinated by the Caliente!

Regards
Peter

#5 ·
Peter,
The Caliente is the typical lime frost green 'grandma' car. I'm a mail carrier, and as such I get to know who has what...

Anyway, I got the Caliente from a very elderly couple. Her mother bought the car new in '66. It is a 4-door Caliente (only ~1300 4-door Calientes made), with body color wheels and 'poverty caps' (small hubcaps). Only 34k original miles. Car is 100% original. The car still has the 6.45-14 bias ply tires on it! Not even C-78-14s, these are older. Waaaay older than P185/75-14s!!!! Probably from the late 60s/early 70s. The only rust at all is from the cowl leaking onto the passenger front floor, so I need that and a new torque box. It does have a few rare options from that year - vacuum-delay interval wipers, the 'Hazard' light switch is mounted on a bracket in the glove box, and it still has the metal clip in the engine compartment holding the glass bottle of 'all-purpose fluid' and the paper label is still mostly there! Talk about a true survivor!

My plans for it are to fix the floor/torque box, upgrade to a dual master cylinder (that safety feature started in '67 or 68 depending on manufacturer), and do a swap to front disc brakes - I have the pieces from a Granada to do it... It also needs a new exhaust -- that's why the old couple got rid of it...

#6 ·
I think the 4V Windsor motor was advertised at 290 HP, compared to 250 for the 2v motor. You should be able to get a used intake and carb, even down under, for a fair price. While I don't see a lot of Australia specific cars/parts in Idaho, there are a lot of other imported cars that have a good following, and so there are used parts for them available locally, for reasonable money. As long as you don't have to have any machine work done, you should be able to get the power up to a good level for under a thousand bucks. If you aren't out to make a race car, keep the cam at or under .500/.500 gross lift. That way you won't need new gears or higher stall speed torque converter.
Something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K35-218-3/ or this;

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K35-414-3/

If you go with much more cam than that, you will need steeper gears, new torque converter, etc... Either of the above, with a 600 or 650 Holley, and headers with 2 1/2 inch pipe will make a very noticeable increase in power! And you will lose some gas mileage, too....
You should be able to find some parts though used, like the intake manifold, and a rebuild-able carb for less than shipping from the states....

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Hey Milo,
That Caiente must be a real time capsule. Fantastic! Here in Australia at that time Ford were just getting the Australianised Falcons to make an impression on the market after a near disastrous earlier introduction. If your car is a '66, it is based on the Fairlane series with stacked headlights? Great looking cars! There is a 66 I think vert for sale in the other side of the continent- price around 20,000. Do you have any pix of yours? I thought my Cougar was interesting from the historical point of view. Still had inspection ticket tucked under the driver's side head restraint, and i found part of the build sheet and QC slip under the back seat!

Best Wishes

Peter

#10 ·
Hi Woodsnake,, thanks for posting all that information! I remember you were very helpful in an earlier posting I had made around a year ago. Hope you and your cars are keeping well! I'l certanly follow up on your excellent leads. The truth is that to a degree, cars of the vintage of the Cougar and other such Fords were in ready supply back in the sixties, but these days, locally sourced parts can be very expensive. A local dealer wanted $290.00 A for an indicator switch is one example. Anyway, you have given me a lot to work with- THANKS:wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.