Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everybody. I need help with a issue i am having with my 69 mercury cougar. It has a 351 windsor and whoever had the car before me ran the ground terminal cable from the the ground post of the battery to one of the mounting brackets of the alternator bracket . I have found a threaded hole on the passenger side of the block above the starter motor . I have no idea what bolt size and length i need for this . I have done some research and found that it might me a 7/16-14. Can anybody confirm which bolt i need ? Also the length and if its a course thread, also what type of metal bolt and if any washers are needed ( i assume it will be a metric bolt type) . I really appreciate any help that can be provided . Thanks

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
There should absolutely be nothing metric on our cars. Unless of course someone added something to them.
mine is grounded using the top bolt of the top alternator bracket that mounts to the passenger head. That should be original.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
There should absolutely be nothing metric on our cars. Unless of course someone added something to them.
mine is grounded using the top bolt of the top alternator bracket that mounts to the passenger head. That should be original. View attachment 117483
Also, the motor is grounded to the firewall from a bolt at the back of the same head.
You will get much faster response if you post your questions on: classiccougarcommunity.com
It’s where all the old timers migrated to after this site was sold and monitized a few years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
71 or 72 is what my dad always wanted before he passed away and I can't find one cheap enough to buy him but to do up in the memory of him would make me really happy and they're just certain way he had his car that he loved that car he had one before and it got had to sell it because he went away in the Navy and come back and didn't have his car to do anything with so I'd really like to be able to find one of these just to do up in his memory he's worked hard for us kids and my mother and he walked to work everyday and that would just love to be able to find a car like this for my father Robert grant Clark as your son Brian I know you can hear me I love you and miss you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts