Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the information I found around the Net, the story is that Ford encountered 351C production shortages and were forced to use the 351W 2V in place of the Cleveland 2V. Regardless of which engine went under the hood, the same engine code (H) went on the VIN tag.

I would appreciate any help in decoding the attached build sheet, or any hints on how to figure out what I've got.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
That is true H code for both model years 2V. Some early 70 cars received the Windsor. I owned a 70 Mach 1 built first week of July 69' that was a H code Windsor.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
6 bolts valve covers - Windsor, 8 bolts valve covers - Cleveland. Is it original to the car? Look for partial VIN at top rear of DS cylinder bank just under the cylinder head on the block.

Like this:

Which is off the back of my '70 Cleveland.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob,
I've got 6 bolts valve covers - it's a Windsor! The numbers on the powertrain are matching.
Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Since the original poster included a scan of the build sheet, we can determine that the engine is in fact a 351W-2V.

1970 Engine tag code 201 or 203 is a 351W-2V with automatic. A 351C-2V automatic in a 1970 Cougar would have had an engine tag with a number 601.

All of this information is included with in The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook, by Kevin Marti.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Your build sheet also designates a Windsor. The ones that are numbered between 200 and 211 are Windsor, the Clevelands are numbered between 600 and 632. The standard engine for a Mustang or Cougar in 1970 was supposed to be a Cleveland. If you ordered a Marti report it will call out the Windsor as it is an exception.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Good stuff!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts