Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was cleaning up the block and de-stressing all sharp edges and such, I accidentally slipped with the grinding burr inside a couple of frost plug holes. This made a small mark on the mating surface of the frost plug holes. I asked the machine shop to put some kind of sealant in the holes before putting the plugs in and he didn't. So, the question, should I pull the plugs and put sealant in the holes, then re-plug with caps or should I have them tapped out and put screw in plugs?

·
Registered
249 Posts
How deep are the marks?
When I changed mine, the holes had a little normal rust pitting. I just cleaned the holes with emery cloth, applied a little black rtv, and pounded new ones in.
Its been 12 years no problems yet. "Knock Wood"

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has been a while now, but one slip of the grinding burr and I would say around .005, enough to leave a mark greater than just a scratch. I was a ball end burr.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
As I was cleaning up the block and de-stressing all sharp edges and such, I accidentally slipped with the grinding burr inside a couple of frost plug holes. This made a small mark on the mating surface of the frost plug holes. I asked the machine shop to put some kind of sealant in the holes before putting the plugs in and he didn't. So, the question, should I pull the plugs and put sealant in the holes, then re-plug with caps or should I have them tapped out and put screw in plugs?
This one is WAY easy. To me, the fact that you are concerned leads to the answer without further thought(s), but here are some anyway:

If you do nothing, you may end up putting the engine all together, install it in the car and find out that one of the "bastaads" is leaking. How's that going to feel, especially after having concerns now?

Or, you "invest" a few bucks in another set of freeze out plugs, a little sealant and buy yourself piece of mind in the process. Is there really a choice to be made here? I think not.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
This one is WAY easy. To me, the fact that you are concerned leads to the answer without further thought(s), but here are some anyway:

If you do nothing, you may end up putting the engine all together, install it in the car and find out that one of the "bastaads" is leaking. How's that going to feel, especially after having concerns now?

Or, you "invest" a few bucks in another set of freeze out plugs, a little sealant and buy yourself piece of mind in the process. Is there really a choice to be made here? I think not.

Regards,

Bob
Especially when a set of freeze plugs is only around 12-15 bucks. Make sure you throw some sealant around the large rear cam plug and the oil galley plugs too. I had a bad oil leak from the rear of my block the first time I started it, and was one of the reasons I had to pull a fresh engine.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, it's never going to be the easy one to get at that goes bad anyway....Murphy's Law 101...I'd get the brass ones while I'm at, then you are done withthem forever

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I intended on doing something now, just didn't know what would be the best way around it. It's a no brainer to do it right now and not have to pull the thing later. I didn't know if just putting sealant in would be enough, so the other option was to put screw in plugs.
As for the sealant, is there a type that would be best and the brass plugs are better? No rust problems later I would imagine.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...As for the sealant, is there a type that would be best and the brass plugs are better? No rust problems later I would imagine.
I guess there are a number of suitable sealants, Permatex Ultra Black RTV would be fine, but I used Permatex Indian Head Shellac on mine, just because that's what my buddy who owns the machine shop likes to use and handed me when I was doing the job.

As for "brass ones", don't ask questions you already know the answer to, son!! :buck:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, does the Large cam plug come with the frost plug kit or is that different?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Yes, the large one comes with the set. I used the shellac stuff on mine too. The cam plug and the threaded plugs on the rear got a double dose, once on the way in, then brushed more on over the seams.

As far as the little nicks, I wouldn't worry about them, the shellac or silicone will fill the void.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts