Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 351c 2V in my 71 cougar. It needs rebuilding. I was thinking of getting a bit more HP out of it by putting a mild cam, 4 barrel carb with aluminum intake and a set of headers. I am looking for any input anyone may have for me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Contact the tech people where you purchace your parts. All to often people install a carburetor to big and install cams with to much lift and duration for the application. If you give your engine specs, transmission and rear end a supplier will be able to assist you.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A good dual exhaust with an X-pipe and free flow mufflers will help a lot. Upgrade the ignition to a Pertronix III unit in your distributor or the Performance Distributor's DUI 1 wire electronic self contained distributor(2 wire if you choose to run a tach). Simple and easy.
The advice on too big of a cam and carb should be well heeded as those are the two biggest mistakes for a powertrain, race or street use.
Rebuilding the engine? Ask around and find the best shop you can and don't be afraid to spend an extra dollar. Don't spend more than you have to, just get comfortable with the shop you'll deal with and impress upon them you want the work done correctly and at all costs avoid cheap off-shore parts as a great deal of them are simply inferior. Not everything from the U.S. is perfect, but you have a better chance with American parts. Trust me. Good ole' common sense will serve you well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Joel, I forgot to mention something important, that being the brake system , and suspension goes hand in hand with that. Want a little more power? We all do, but if you can't stop the car, all the power in the world won't do you any good. No, the undercarriage doesn't have a lot of pretty parts like a shiny carb and air cleaner, but don't forget the bottom side of the car.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
If you want driveability make sure you get a dual plane inlet manifold. A670 Holley Street Avenger is all you need on a mildly tuned street driven 351C. Getting your headers ceramically coated not only improves the looks and durability but keeps heat out of the engine bay

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
What are your intentions with the car? Budget??

For an otherwise stock rebuild, I've had great success with the generic .484/.510 lift 262/272 duration cam like the Summit 5200 or if you want to stick with name-brand and a more modern cam grind profile, the Comp Cams XE262 would be a good choice. The lift of both these cams is about as high as you can go with stock heads without machining them for screw-in studs, etc. Also, both use single valvesprings so your stock retainers can be used.

Add a dual-plane intake like a Performer and a 600-670 CFM vacuum-secondary carb and headers and that should be good for around 375hp and 400 lb/ft torque. Don't bother with the Performer RPM air gap - it is too much for your application and also quite tall so hood clearance becomes an issue.

This engine build can be used with your stock torque converter and gearing, although upgrading those will help with the grins and giggle factor at a cost of fuel economy. Chances are your car has 2.75 gears now, so either 3.00 or 3.25s would be better, but go no higher than 3.50s. Trans torque converter? nothing higher than a 2700rpm stall (any yes, you CAN get converters for your (likely) FMX!)

Now that you have engine power, you'll need to get it to the ground, so a traction-loc (posi unit) will help with the dreaded one-wheel-peel...

See? all it takes is money...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great advise. sounds like you know your fords! Like I said its a 71 model Cougar XR7 that i got for a grand. Its a Texas car and has zero rust. It does need paint, motor rebuild, complete interior. Dont know about the FMX until I get it running.
with the $2500 for a nice paint and small dents taken out. The interior around another $2500. Ill have 6 grand in it before the drive train. Although I love the car I dont want to go over what I can hope to get for it, if I did sell it. I am hoping to get it all done for under $8000. What are your thoughts? I do plan on doing the rebuild myself. Plus any brake, fuel, front end work ect.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Thanks for all the great advise. sounds like you know your fords! Like I said its a 71 model Cougar XR7 that i got for a grand. Its a Texas car and has zero rust. It does need paint, motor rebuild, complete interior. Dont know about the FMX until I get it running.
with the $2500 for a nice paint and small dents taken out. The interior around another $2500. Ill have 6 grand in it before the drive train. Although I love the car I dont want to go over what I can hope to get for it, if I did sell it. I am hoping to get it all done for under $8000. What are your thoughts? I do plan on doing the rebuild myself. Plus any brake, fuel, front end work ect.

Unless it is rare you will struggle to recoup your costs on any rebuild. Look around for a complete interior from a rusted car from the north to keep your costs down. Suspension and brakes will quickly add up to $1.5K. To get nice paint done at that price you will need to take it down to Laredo or do most of the prep work yourself

1 - 12 of 12 Posts