Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given... yes given... a D0AE-J (70') 2bbl block... with a 71' 2bbl intake... out of a 71 Cougar... that has 75' 400 Modified 2bbl heads (the a2a heads).

I also have a pair of 351Cleveland D1AE CB heads or a set of 351Cleveland D2AE A2A heads... Which set of heads should I go with as far as installing a mild cam, upping the HP a bit and just cruising it as a daily driver?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Not diggin' in deep here, but my sense is that if they both are 2V open chamber heads that either or, wouldn't make a difference.

A cursory interwebz search yields: http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine3.html but it only lists the '71 head.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the lead... The reason I'm asking is the 400 Heads are already on the motor... I did some more eyeballing and saw the water pump is a 79' and the brackets (for the power steering, ac compressor) are 83'... Talk about a Frankenstein motor... Figure they had to have that to mount it to the 400 heads... Whatever happened to keep it simple... Also wondering which parts to take to the machine shop and which little piggies stay home. :) I might try to fire up Frankenstein and see if..... IT's ALIVE!... or NOT!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
400 heads are the same externally, the differences are very minor altogether and nothing externally needs to be different for 400 heads. If the A2A heads are 400 heads, use the D1AE's.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
The 400 heads should have hardened valve seats for unleaded gas, so that might be a reason to use those... Of the three sets of 2V heads you mention, the obvious answer would be to use the best ones, i.e. which ones have the least valve guide wear?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts