Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will I need to do to fit a 351 Cleveland in my standard 67 Cougar? I'm new to this game, so forgive me if that's a foolish question. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
There really isn't anything out of the ordinary to make it fit. The 67 had the same engine bay as the 70. You just need to make sure you have all the parts for the clevo like the pulley setup and exhaust and such, engine mounts are the same, as is the bellhousing pattern for all small block transmissions. There are several guys on here that have done it, and a few with current projects that have had no issues.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
On 1967 installations, you will need to change the engine frame stands. 1968-70 small block frame stands are needed.

Correct 1967 small block engine mounts are not available new, used and NOS only.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey thats the same thing im in the process of doing except mine is a 68 standard! I was wondering if there should be any suspention mods dont to the car to handle the bigger/heavier motor?

·
Registered
389 Posts
it wont fit. not worth the hassle of trying to make it fit. i have a couple of 302's at the house that'll fit right in your car with no problem and i'll take that pesky 351 off your hands and put it in my car. no need to thank me, my generosity is solely to beneifit the collector car community. :)

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
My younger brother had a hard time sticking that in my first '68

... but what a ride :lol:

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 351CJ out of a 72 Mach 1 fit right in the my 67 Cougar standard. I used factory motor mounts which fit fine. The engine bay is the same as said above as well as the small block bellhousing pattern. Whomever said it won't fit must have a modified mixed with a Cleveland because there is a difference. Finding headers may be pricey, but what isn't pricey on a Cougar? If your heart is set on that 351C I'd say go for it but if you don't really care a 302/289 will be cheaper as far as parts are concerned. P.S. I love my Cleveland, especially when big block guys thinks its a big block when they see the headers and exhaust port size lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah thats good to hear 351cj I have a 289 out of a 65 stang but I dont have any of the brackets..I saw the chance to get this motor with all the needed brackets so the 289 is up for sale or something. I think the 351c will be way cooler when u pop the hood open to show it off and the extra torque wont hurt either...lol

·
Registered
152 Posts
Definitely won't hurt... specially if you build it right. Depending on how you want your performance, the 351C has a lot of small issues that should be thought out before you jump in with both feet and start building. I'd get a game plan and start researching your machine work and overall bottom end. The 351C is awesome, but can't be thrown together like a 289...as I've learned the hard way lol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here is a pic of my 351 Cleaveland in my 67- XR7 to inspire you ;) Don't mind the horrible hose routing as I'm in the middle of a Vacuum line crisis. BUT yeah, not to hard to get in, just need the new frame stands (steal em from a mustang). New mounts, a c6 tranny bolts on nicely. 001.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
cougar 011.jpg Here's my 351CJ installed. No vacuum hoses as I converted my lights to electric and water hoses as I built tubes using copper polished and clear lacquered. Get creative man!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts