Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm putting a 351 Cleveland into my 1968 Cougar. I was wondering if anyone here has done that before. If so, I'm interested to see how everything turned out for you.

I got it out of a '72 Mustang, FMX and all. The engine's sitting in the car right now, I've just got to get a crossover welded because the FMX sits a little further back. After that we'll need to get a custom driveshaft. I put a Edelbrock Performer intake on it (for 2bbl heads), and some headers.

Any feedback, comments?

Michael
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Just remember depending on what you have in your car you will probably need a new radiator. I think the bottom outlet will be on the wrong side and if you have the standard cooling it maybe a little on the small side to cool the 351. Also the Cleavland being a little heavier, your front springs maybe a little too soft. mm

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a 73 cleveland in my 68. I bought it already installed. The radiator has been changed and they had to cut some on the top of the radiatior mount for the fill neck. Fan clearance from radiator is only about 3/4 of an inch kida tight but and aftermarket fan should help. Still have power steering off of a 302. Fits good, not sure about the springs. seems like they are OK. I don't have the FMX. Let me know what type of headers you are using and if they will fit. Since the 68 had no 351c I'm having trouble finding a set.....Lance

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
If the FMX is from the mustang you can use the 73s trans crossmember. FPA makes headers for this application. you can also use the stock manifolds. be sure you save brackets untell you are done as you never know what you need. I think your drive shaft from the cougar will work, if you change the slip yoke for the FMX on to it. I think your shifter will work but save the 73s just incase. Be sure to unplug the engine feed wire harness from the mustang and save it. I think it will just plug in to your Cougar. As was stated earlyer, you will need a radator. The one in the 73 is a cross flow and will not fit with out doing a bunch of things. A 68 or newer big block or one for a clevland will bw easiest to use. good luck. Neal.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Neal is right about useing the mustangs shifter as the FMX uses a nuetral safty and backup light switch on the shifter not the trans itself. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i think it will a good idea. hell i plan to drop one in a 67/8 as soon as i can get my grubby mits on one. i mean, look a the differences in the heads alone! i know that the Windsor has great potential too, but i wanna build a Cleveland namly because ill have to use production style parts for it. i cant afford aftermarket heads for a buildup yet. if i could, id probably stay Windsor. logic says its an easier drop in. but look at the valves man, these are 4bbl 351C heads off a 70. closed chamber. i think these are the peak heads to have as far as a Cleveland buildup goes ( power and production wise ) the others are 69 351W heads. they have the big valves and ports along with the small chamber. but they look dinky in comparison next to the Cleveland ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks alot for the feedback!

Alright, we just got the crossover for the FMX tonight and we're going to mount it to the car tomorrow (the engine and tranny are in the car). As far as the linkage and whatnot go, the shifter linkage from the C4 works just fine on the FMX. The passing gear linkage, however, doesn't. In '73 the passing gear linkage comes down from the carb, as opposed to the accellerator linkage in '68. Now, about the neutral switch ordeal; what do I need to to in order to get my backup light to work? Am I going to need the shifter mechanism from a '73 Mustang? Any help/ advice is appreciated!

As far as the radiator goes, we just got some flexible hose and we're rerouting it over to the other side. The radiator's no in yet, so hopefully the factory one will work. I looked in the June 2000 issue of Hot Rod, where a '68 with a Cleveland was featured; it said that the factory radiator was used.

As always, thanks for the feedback!

Michael
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have the eldebrock performer on my car with a fmx and it works fine because I have the ford kickdown lever that eldebrock sells for it. Its no biggie as its under $20 and easily gotten.

I think you definatly need a shifter from an FMX car for the neutral and backup light shift. The 73 stang may work, in fact I'm pretty sure it will.

The radiator is another example of whay you have to watch when you read from some magazine. Yes they may have used a factory radiator, something like a 70 351C radiator but I dont think they used a 68 302 radiator because the lower outlets are backwords and most were 20" 2 cores.mm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts