Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a junk yard tour and came across a 76 cougar XR-7 I think there is a 351 in it the (yard master) wants 150.00 any takers? is it worth it all is missing is the air cleaner.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Dan,

A 76 351 could be either a 351M or 351W. The 'short deck' Clevelands ceased in 74. 75-79 Cleveland-looking engines would actually be 351M, a taller block version of the 351C. It used the same block as the 400.

A 351W is a tall block version of a 302.

Either one would be a 2-barrel, and would have the engine code 'H' so that's no help. You have to know what to look for in either case to know what you're really looking at.

Milo

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
like has been said it could more than likely be a 400 M than a 351 in the 76 time frame. if i think of it i do beleive i have the dimensions at home so when i get off work i will post em if you want so you can measure the deck height but i would pass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Easiest way to tell a Windsor motor from a Cleveland is to count the valve cover bolts. THe Windsor has 6 and the Cleveland has 8.

The Windsor motor has a cast alunimum front engine cover and the Cleveland has a piece of flat steel, the timing cover is part of the block.

The 351C motor uses the small block transmission bellhousing and the 351M and 400 uses the same transmission as the 429/460.

Also, for the 351M and 400 versions look for an aprroxamatly 1 inch high, 3/8 inch piece of metal right next to the distributor hole towards the center of the block. This piece runs parrelel to the crank shaft.

The deck hieght for the CLeveland motor is 9.20 inches and the 351M and 400 is 10.20 inches.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks people

When I go out there I"ll check it out,and see if its worth saving.Im getting to know him well.he"ll probably charge me for the Hot wrench to pull it out.there is also a mustang II that has a good front end,

·
Registered
56 Posts
76 351

I had a 76 XR7 with a 351 W that is going into the 55 F-100. Check the water inlet for confirmation. Into intake for W , into block for C,m or 400

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts