Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some info to study so I can get started, specifically:

What are some good books or videos to get.
Any good magazine articles to read.
Any good on line sites to visit.

Also, what types of kits are available for this, and where is the best place to get them.

I would also need info on which heads, intake, carb, cam, to use.

Purpose would be for street use.
Block is a '66 289 if salvageable.
Not looking for extreme power, just a fun car to drive.

Gerry

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Google is your friend for this. Try coast high performance for the parts.
Here:
https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=ford+331+and+347+stroker+builds&pbx=1&oq=ford+331+and+347+stroker+builds&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=4793l15613l0l15863l33l23l0l0l0l0l2280l3841l8-1.1l2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=b9d6e0b7339a9721&biw=1280&bih=829

If you don't have the tools required to do all the assembly, it may be more cost effective to buy a short block from somebody already done, and then add your intake, carb and ignition..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Information overload on Google.
Also, the best articles I've found so far require a subscription to the magazine to view the whole article, which is ok as long as it has good info.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Coasthigh.com is good... So is cnc-motorsports.com...

The latter outfit is where I got the stuff to build my 393W. I wanted somewhere between the available kits offered at the time of 8.0:1 and 10.5:1 compression ratios. The combo I came up with (9.5:1) is now their best-selling 393W kit!!!

Not sure if fordstrokers.com is still in the market of offering kits...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bought some in the past from RPM Machine, seem good enough folks. Good selection. If you know exactly what you need buying them from Summit will work, you just get a better "package" deal going through a distributor...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lot of cost involved there, did you maybe consider going with a 351W?
No, not considering anything else at this time.
I have one block I hope to use for this project. The engine has been laying outside in the weather for over 25 years. It's frozen into the ground right now. I couldn't break it loose this past weekend to tear into it, so it will have to wait for a thaw. If it's toast, I have a couple other 289's.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Is that an engine or a boulder with vines growing around it...?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
G Dub,

I seriously doubt that block is usable for anything other than scrap. With the intake and exhaust ports open, water/snow/dirt has been getting into the cylinders through the valves that were open. Same goes for the oil drainback holes in the heads that have been allowing water into the crankcase.

Your best bet is to take that motor to the scrapyard and get a 'fresh' one. A 85- or 88-up 5.0 would be a good choice since that would be a roller cam motor, AND it would have the one-piece rear main seal. That is, if your car doesn't have a manual transmission. 80-ish and newer 5.0 blocks don't have the pivot point for the clutch linkage.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll keep the late model block in mind.
For now, the next block I have in mind is a 289 2V from a '67 Galaxie 500. This engine hasn't been kept outside. It has a different problem though. It was old lady driven, and all the oil passages are plugged with carbon. I cleaned out the push rods, and lifters about 28 years ago, and I put it back together, no oil was circulating, so the passages are plugged up ahead of the lifters. I haven't touched the engine since that time.
How difficult is it to get all that carbon out? Will hot tanking the block do it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts