Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy giving me new 1:6 crane rollers.My intentions are to use these in my 10000 kilo rebiult 1968 302.It a pretty much stock 302 but I will be putting a cam 4bbl and headers.I havnt done roller rockers so I would like to know what problems I will be running into and is it worth any HP .
Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
well it will be worth it as easy as that job is, you'll probably walk out with at least an extra 10-15hp. As long as you torque to spec you should enjoy some good hard revving fun! I've heard something about final adjustments after it's been running but I've never had that problem though. I think your supposed to torque em to 25ft/lbs...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So its a bolt in mod and no modifications to the heads.That sounds great.Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
How much cam are you planning on? The roller rockers are nice, but USUALLY require screw in studs, VS the factory pressed in studs. Meaning off with the heads and a trip to the machine shop.
You may not have to machine the heads for rockers, but so that the cam doesn't push out the studs....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Im only planning a cam just over stock nothing radical.Just so you know its there.I love this site.never a question unanswered

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I'm pretty sure '68 302 heads were originally equipped with rail type rocker arms. For conversion to standard (non-rail) roller rockers, the heads will require machining to accept guide plates. Guide plates require screw-in rocker studs to hold them in place, as well as use of hardened pushrods. The pushrods may, or may not, end up needing to be the same length as stock. The only way to know for sure is to assemble everything with the new parts after the machining is done, and measure.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If you are using stock heads wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just grab a cheap set of of 5 litre heads from the 90s? Can get them for about $50 here in my neck of the woods at a pick n pull I know they are very common. This would give you hardened valve seats for unleaded gas as well which your original heads will not have. I just can't recall if it is a straight bolt on to the older block. I am 75% sure it is but talk to someone that knows what they are doing first ;)

Good luck

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
For a 302 there are several versions of roller rockers.
Stud mount (either 3/8" or 7/16" stud)
Pedestal mount (For replacing rockers held down by bolts)
Rail or non-rail type.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm pretty sure '68 302 heads were originally equipped with rail type rocker arms. For conversion to standard (non-rail) roller rockers, the heads will require machining to accept guide plates. Guide plates require screw-in rocker studs to hold them in place, as well as use of hardened pushrods. The pushrods may, or may not, end up needing to be the same length as stock. The only way to know for sure is to assemble everything with the new parts after the machining is done, and measure.
If they are full roller then i think you may have lots of work ahead of you. 68 had rail rockers and i did not see any full roller rail from crane with a quick search. You could use roller tip like i did in rail rockers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess the only thing I've got goin for me so far is I did'nt have to pay for them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts