Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:1poke:
Hi all,
I was given some stuff recently and have decided to use it in my 70 instead of the Cleveland I have. :1poke:
It's a 302 Mexican block, a set of speed pro 12.5:1 pistons (that'll probably be shaved to flat-tops. me no likey high comp. in street car), a set of rods that are as yet unidentified, and a steel crank.
All is stock 302 dimension. Including the block which looks like it will clean up with a hone.
Also have a Performer 289 intake.
It's been a while since I built a carbureted 302.
Anyone have a recipe for a good 302 setup?
I'll probably turn this into a buildup article if I can.

Use will be cruising and bracket racing with a rev ceiling of about 5500 or so.
The car will run on pump gas. Mileage is a consideration.
It will be a budget concious thing. Mostly because I decided this at the last minute. And I think that not everyone with a cougar can afford to turn it into a pro touring sled and might like to see a budget built racer.
I hit the road in about a month or so to be traveling all summer with my cat.
Thanks in advance. :alien:

·
Registered
16 Posts
In the effort to keep my 67 as "stock" as possible, I used a rebuilt 302 block ( the original 289 was totally shot) with a pair of 65 HiPo heads ( redone) I scoured the ads and found a mid rise iron intake (made in Mexico) Had Pony carb rebuild a 4100 Motorcraft ( $300.00 approx.) Put in a Motorsport cam ( 303)
lifters, pushrods, Picked up some resto HiPo exhaust manifolds and installed dual exhaust - Most of the labor was free! Total cost around $1600. You might find something already done for this price. I don't regret the investment as it was a blast to do an engine again! First one since early 70's ( Yeah, I'm an old goat) Best of Luck.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GT40 heads

I've been tossing around the idea of GT40 heads since the aluminum heads aren't that great for my high altitude.
I can rip a set of GT40 iron heads off of an exploder for not much.

What kind of 303 cam did you use? B or X or ?
I've been eyeballing the E303, but I want to stay mild and fuel efficient.
I figure I should be able to put the cat in mid-high 13s with a good combo and not kill the mpg.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Depending on where you are and how much mielage is going to be a consideration... I have a 2.75 rearend from a 69 vert xr-7 that probably needs rebuilt that I will let you have.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool

I could use a rearend.
But, I'm in Robin Jacques land. NC.
That's a fer piece from Ohio.
But, if anyone want to give away parts, I'm the parts scroungingest guy you ever did see!:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well, in your cruising this summer, if you get up this away give me a shout and we can stick it in your back seat:D I also have the passenger side glass from the same car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm not giving everything away, I'm keeping the vacuum pump and a couple of other small things.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, in today's world, I take anything I can get for free.
And I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In other news.
I've been thinking about putting one of the blueprint cams in the 302 from a 289Hipo. But, I just don't want to deal with valve lash while on the road. so, hydraulic it is.
THe motorsport e303 is a roller cam. And I don't want to put money into a roller setup for a mex block 302.
So, does anyone have a cam recommendation for a mild 302 with iron GT40 heads, headers, an AOD, and 3.50 t/l gears?

·
Registered
794 Posts
if you are looking for standard iron GT40 heads off of an explorer, you will only find them used in 1996. 1997-1998 used the GT40P
iron heads with a more efficient combustion chamber and slightly relocated spark plugs. You most liklely need different headers for the P head. Central Coast Mustang sells P headers for classics.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sweet.
didn't know anyone made those headers for classics.
thanks for the info!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts