Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got may new engine in, but ran into a few questionables. For some reason, I cant get it timed right. I have the Distributer turned completely turned clockwise against the water outlet, and it runs pretty well that way, but I know its not right. What can I do to fix this? Its kind of throwing me off a little. And also about how much fuel pressure should I have going to my Holley 4160 600cfm carb? I think I have it set at about 5psi maybe 4.5. When I took my test ride yesteerday, I left tire tracks at all 4 corners going around my moms block, but I Know I can be getting much more than I am right now. Also what temperature thermostats are you guys with the 302's running? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Your dist is off one tooth if your up tight against the water outlet. 5 psi should be fine. mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I ran into that on my 302 as well. I just got #1 at TDC, pulled the dist. out and moved the whole dist. to the new mark. Just make sure you mark the dist. body where #1 wire goes to on the cap, and drop it back in with rotor pointing to the #1 mark. It could be anywhere, as long as it is marked right. If your not sure what Im saying, I'll stop drinking and say it again.
4-5 psi is great for a street carb. No problems there.

Rick

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cool so I should move the distrib. one tooth counterclockwise and keep the rotor pointing to the same wire its at now right? Or do i have to start from scratch, and find TDC again, pull the distrib, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
you can try 1 tooth, if that doesnt work, then try again, just keep the rotor at number 1 tdc if you do.

Rick

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But I should keep the rotor pointing at the wire its at now right, because it was originally set to #1TDC, and would be somewhere else being that the #1 cyclinder is not at the TDC position. I understand that it is timed to TDC. I hope you understand what I mean. I suppose I could find TDC again, but thats kind of a pain. I know I'm off by one tooth. So I guess what I think I have to do is pull the distributer while noting where the rotor is pointing right now, and just turn the whole distributer Including the rotor a tooth counterclockwise. So that way If I rotated the assembly to #1 TDC, the rotor would eventually come around to the number 1 wire...right. Its been like 10 years since i've done this in school, so I just need to refresh my memory... thanks

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Dont move the ditributor, just the rotor if your going to move it 1 tooth. Easy way to find top dead center is, pull #1 plug, disable coil wire, bump starter by crossing the starter solinoid until you fell air gush out the plug hole by putting finger over hole. When you feel air, check your distributor. Mark the dist. body where #1 wire is with a felt or chalk. Move the damper until you are at TDC on your timing mark, the rotor should be pointing to the mark, if not, your out. Pull distributor and set rotor to the mark and drop in. It doesnt matter where the vaccuum advance can is, as long as the rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire (or mark on dist. body). Then your going to have to time it again. Hope this is clear. Remember to put coil wire back on.

Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts