Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I have a 1978 Couger. My problem is the engine (302) misses and stalls when it is raining out. I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal for 10 minutes or else the engine will stall. I have replaced plugs ,wires, cap, rotor, and spark box and the engine still misses and stalls in rain. After 10 minutes the car runs fine. Does anyone have any suggestions. I was thinging it might be the coil.

Thank you

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I gotta ask... You changed your spark plug wires, didn't you? The insulation on spark plug wires breaks down with heat, oil, age, etc. Same goes for the boots.

You may be right with regards to the coil being suspect. Many times they develop a crack on the top that will allow a spark 'leak' when wet. Coils are cheap (relatively) so what do you have to lose. Same goes for your coil primary wire connections. If they're corroded, you may not be getting full voltage to your coil.

Also, use a dilectric silicone sealeant/grease on each end of your spark plug (and coil) wires. You can also try spraying some silicone 'wire drier' weatherproofing spray in the boots on each end of the wires. Works for me...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts