Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my sponsors heard that I was going to a 302 engine setup and dumped a bunch of parts in my lap that he had laying around.
1 is an entire early mexican block 302/289 engine. complete with an original (1960s) set of cobra valve covers.
The other is an edelbrock performer 289 intake that he had laying about.
And the last is this set of speed pro pistons. With big domes. (picture homer simpson drooling...except with long hair, earrings, and a lot less bodyfat and that's me right now) They're 2249nf 60
parts.:bandit:

Anyone know the safest overbore for a 302? I'd really like to use these pistons, but if it's not safe -then it's not safe. No need to ruin a good block.
Thanks,
Kraven:alien:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The answer I seem to have found, after some calling and searching, is a resounding NO.

The mexican block isn't any thicker anywhere than the regular 289/302 block except for having hipoesque main caps. The big fattys.
So, it seems that an .030 inch overbore is the theoretical max.
But, of course, I'm going to push it and do it anyway...

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Hmmmm, doesn't the 347 stroker use a 302 block with a .040 overbore? ...or maybe I'm thinking of another storoker kit out there, maybe even for a 460... ? I'm so confused these days. My buddies are running all sorts of weird combos that I don't have sorted out yet... 331, 347, 394, 466, 484, 514, 558... I'm soooo confused! :confused:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
me too.
I just want a 302 or 289 that you can shut the gates on. The duck's guts, so to speak.
And I want it to get 20 mpg while running a 13.5 in the quarter.
I never had to deal with this crap when I ran a cleveland.
Strokers aren't my thing right now either.

My kingdom for a well built cleveland...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
A 347 is bored .030 over.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Rktmn,
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't remember what the specs were on the 347. Like I said, there are so many stroker combinations out there that I can't keep them all straight in my head. I think that Keith's 558 stroker 460 he's putting back together for his 89 Mustang drag car is a .080 overbore!!! Yipes! Of course the water jacket is filled with blockcrete for strength and stability, but still...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I only remember the 347 for sure because we are assembly one for the Mustang. It is scary what they can do with stroker kits now. I keep telling the wife when the 460 runs low on the "crap my pants factor" I will put in a stroker kit.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The 355 302/289 based Stroker runs a 4.060 bore. I've read in several places that the 355 stroker is the safest(largest and still be fairly safe) in cubic inches that a 302/289 block can be run. I'm not sure about your Mexican block....but maybe that can help in some way.

-Random

1 - 9 of 9 Posts