Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blew a head gasket today in Hollywood today. Not fun... should I waste the time and money on fixing it? I mean, it's a 1974 302. Anyone have a 351 lying around for sale near me? :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
so YOU were the one that made the rising clouds and clouds of steam that i saw from the freeway lol. jk jk... hmmm... theres always the junkyard for a 351.... i bet i can find one this weekend easy.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
a head gasket will be alot cheaper to fix then getting another motor, also about the same amount of time to change then to replace a motor. Tough call I guess. You will need everything for the 351W (pulley's, brackets,etc.), maybe different rad (depending on hose outlets). It would be cool though, and alot more performance,etc. No help am I. :D

Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have a 1968 with a 302 it is a pretty good motor if yours is original it be cheaper to fix the gaskets unless you just need more power

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, mine is not original. My car came with a 351 4bbl 10.5.1 compression :( I'd like to get another 351. Thats why I don't feel like wasting money/time on a 1974 302

·
11,000 Posts
FRPP (Ford Racing Performance Parts) sells complete crate motor 351W's that make a lot of sense if you don't own anything. All the small parts add up. Take a look at

http://www.summitracing.com

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Go for the Windsor (351) the pulleys are the same just the PS bracket is different (if it has PS). Like Royce said. If you can cough up the cash or Mr. Bank man or Mr. Plastic (C Card) will give you the dough, you can't build the same engine as the Ford Crate motor for what you can buy it for. In a weekend you can have it going and WOW what a difference you'll feel from the 302....
Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts