Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brief history: 302 short block purchased and taken to machine shop. They bored it .060 over and said everything looks good ( this was in 2010). I ran the engine with probably about 200 miles on it and then it sat for years. Currently I have rebuilt the top end using the edelbrock estreet heads performer cam and intake. My concern is the integrity of the cylinder walls. I just drive the car to cruise-ins and Sunday drives. My question is am I safe with this block or should I quit throwing money into this block and look for another one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
If you don't experience any heating problems i'd just keep running it... There are thousands of 302 out there bored .060 ... .060 is still a standard offered piston for that reason... i have even seen some bored .090 and still running... kink of luck of the draw... as i have heard of going into the water jackets at .090 om some too ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok awesome. I live in Arizona and when it had the stock radiator and iron heads it would run between 190-210. So I went with a 3 core and aluminum heads, hoping that will help. Thanks again for the reply.

-Adam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts