Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any major differences between a 60's 302 and a more modern 5.0 mustang 302? More specifically, the overall strength of the block (Nickel to cast Iron content). I'm building an engine and would like to know what the best foundation would be for my supercharging efforts...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ford Motorsport Boss 302 Block

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Since you want to supercharge it, you should get an aftermarket block with 4 bolt main caps. There are lots of options out there.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 bolt main caps would be awesome. Which companies are out there? I only know of Dart & FMS. Does the FMS Boss 302 block have 4 bolt main caps? did any factory 302's come with 4 bolt main caps (trucks perhaps)

·
Registered
913 Posts
The FMS Boss 302 block is 4 bolt main caps and can be bought cheaper than most. Check ebay!
PS, you can buy a complete Boss 302 crate engine from FMS

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Don't forget there is no replacement for displacement. If you haven't started collecting parts, think about getting a 351. I'm glad I went that route.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your right, displacement will definitely make some waves, but 351 aren't that easy to come by as 302's...at least not in the pick a part... Is there really much difference between a modern block and vintage blocks other than nickel content?

·
Registered
332 Posts
From what I have seen the pre 1974 blocks look a lot stronger than the bust in half 82 and up ones. Once apon a time the parts made in mexico were the sought after factory parts if you didn't have the 4 bolt boss 302 block. I would rather start with a 351w. I have never seen a split in 2 351w. The 351w has bigger head bolts too.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Newer blocks have provisions for a dipstick tube for rear sump oil pans. I had to tap and plug it (1/8" NPT). Some 302 blocks have a threaded hole for a knock sensor behind the intake manifold. I'm not sure if any 351s do, but mine doesn't have one.

The way I look at it, you will only build your engine once. Take your time and don't settle. If you can't find a 351w, just wait. One will show up. It will be worth the wait. You can also check out eBay for good short blocks. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories This is about how much I paid for mine.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
W's show up all the time....keep poking around on Cl and watch for early 70's trucks/lead sleds. You can probably pick one up and sell off the rest to scrap yard for less than $300 final cost. Watch ebay for a good set of modern heads for it though....or racingjunk.com

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Don't forget that if you plan on running a manual trans, the drilled&tapped hole for the clutch Z-bar pivot was deleted from 302/5.0s and 351Ws in the mid '80s!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Don't forget that if you plan on running a manual trans, the drilled&tapped hole for the clutch Z-bar pivot was deleted from 302/5.0s and 351Ws in the mid '80s!
The FMS boss 302 block is still drilled for clutch pivot

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the idea of a Boss 302, but at this point its whatever comes first. I like the idea of a 351 too. I want to smoke some serious rubber at the drag strip. It has to be within a reasonable budget. I like the idea of hunting at the pick a parts for gems...a little patience goes a long way...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts