Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a cracked manifold and need to replace it - well, replace it along with the entire exhaust run too... heh... but my question is: I've seen this HiPo 289 reproduction manifold that is supposed to fit a 68 302 as well. Will this thing match up as bolt-on with a stock pipe run? It looks close but just slightly skewed compared to the stock manifold. I've got PS and it's auto if that matters.

See it here: http://www2.cougarpartscatalog.com/c5zz-9430-b-c3oz-9430-b.html

I guess the second part question... is it even worth it compared to stock? Engine is stock except for the intake, carb, MSD and Mallary distributor.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Apparently, your post didn't post. BTW, welcome to MC.NET. :) John

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - weird.... maybe it was the link?

Anyways, I'll try it again!

Got a cracked exhaust manifold and I guess I got a multi part question. I have a stock 302 4v except for a MSD unit and Mallory distributor. Needs new pipes too, so thinking about a complete run replacement.

1) I saw a HiPo 289 mani that says it fits a 302. Anyone familiar if it is a stock fit to the existing stock H-pipe? Looks close but maybe slightly different at the collector end.

2) IS it even worth it being so close to stock?

My other thought was getting hedman shorty headers - maybe that's really overkill! But it would allow me to think about other future upgrades. :) Saw a nice bolt on kit by some outfit called Corsi.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
The HiPo 289 exhaust manifolds will bolt onto and fit your application fine, so will 1969-70 351W exhaust manifolds. However, the headpipes/ H Pipe will have to be changed, or the collector end as you called them.

·
11,000 Posts
If you use the Hipo exhaust it will fit fine with an automatic transmission.

If your car is manual transmission the clutch z - bar will need to be replaced or reworked to clear.

In any case when using exhaust manifolds do not under any circumstances use gaskets. They were not used originally, and are not needed. Gaskets + manifolds = leaks and cracks.

A light smear of black RTV is my favorite way to seal them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys.

Yes, it's AT PS PB. I guess my big hope was a stock fit to the H Pipe - which sounds like a no go. I'm rebuilding this thing on a farm and hauling it into a shop to weld it up is not the easiest option - just hoping it was a simple bolt on solution.

I might have to go total stock or maybe this is a good excuse to splurge on the Hedman shorty and this outfit (Corsi Custom) that does a kit to fit it exactly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In any case when using exhaust manifolds do not under any circumstances use gaskets. They were not used originally, and are not needed. Gaskets + manifolds = leaks and cracks.

A light smear of black RTV is my favorite way to seal them.

Are you saying this in regards to manifolds only and not headers - or both? I am also considering Hedman Shorty headers.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Cast iron "factory" exhaust manifolds, NO gaskets.
Steel headers, yes....
"Shorty" headers are not known for fitting our cars well, they tend to "dump" right into the steering box. (Just make sure of the application, and a return policy!)
Long tube headers can be a bit of a pain to install, but you can bolt header mufflers right to them, until you get new exhaust installed. If you are looking a new cam down the road, I would say go for the longer tube headers. If you are only going to bolt on a 600~ish 4V, and call that good, then the 351W or the 'hi-po' manifolds will be an upgrade over the stock 289/302 "log". Go with at least a 2 inch pipe, with a intermediate "H". I prefer 2 1/2 on everything with a V8.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's another question maybe you could answer woodsnake... if I go with the 289 hipo, it looks like it drops a few inches below where the stock manifold ends - at least on the driver's side. Can I simply swap in a stock mustang 289 hipo H pipe to fit as a bolt-on?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
The 289/302 are the same height and width, so I can't think of why they wouldn't work.
Have you shopped locally for exhaust? I can get 2 1/2 pipe with glass packs, everyday out here for around 400 dollars. The first kit on your linked page, isfour hundred, plus shipping, and then final welding too....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car is on a farm and not exactly close to a shop - just trying to avoid towing it in and hoping for a bolt-on solution. Final minor welding can be done on the farm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts