Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get one of these RUG CL '78 model transmission for free, but i got quite a drive to get it. My question is is this thing worth goin to get? Will it even fit? Only considering it because my CR toploader has major problems and i need somethin pretty bad. I doubt this thing is worth gettin, but figured id ask cause i dont know much about transmissions other than takin em out and puttin em in and installing shifters. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If its the iron case 3+1 OD, it should bolt right in pace of a toploader 4 speed. Aluminum (SROD)models have a 3/4" longer input shaft. The provision for mounting the shifter on the tailshaft is different than a toploader, so if it doesn't come with a shifter, you'll have to fabricate some sort of adapter.
The ratios aren't great for performance, (big jump from first to second) and they aren't as strong as a regular toploader. But for free, it should do in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Adam,

Keep in mind you will likely not be happy with the 3 speed ratios (as mentioned and compared to a 4 speed wide or close ratio), but the OD is nice. Might be good for a temporary installation while you rebuild the 4 speed.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
The shifter mounting location is bad for cougar's. There was one in my 68 when I got it. They had to modify the shifter hole towards the drivers side of the car. Other than that, it was a fine transmission. I rebuilt it when I was going to school. I wanted to upgrade to a T5 though, so I did that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts