Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay the first one would probably qualify for 'this weeks stupid qestion' but anyway, you guys should be used to it from me. The alternator, can any alternator suitable for a V8 fit, or does it have to be a specific one, the autolec suggested I get a Bosch that has a built in regulator ....what are your thoughts on that. Never got the car to the autolec, its pouring with rain, and I am not leaving it there. I read on one of the threads that you get different voltage regulators, which is the best one to get.

Damn, now what was the second question, oh yes, the brakes locked, on the one side, yesterday, nice cloud of smoke from the one tyre, driving slowly as well, braked, locked, smoke. It loosened up after a while and then the brakes were working normally, well, when I say normally, the same as they were, which I think I have mentioned is not that great. So what is the diagnosis, I would like to take her in to a brake place and have them checked out thoroughly, or should we just bleed them.

Coil, where should the coil be, on the 70 its vertically attached to the engine, on the 72 its horizontically attached to the engine, on our other cars its vertically attached to the side of the engine bay, I remember reading somewhere here that its dangerous to have it near the engine, or something to that effect? I think it was a comment on a photo of someones engine.
http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=476&papass=&sort=1

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you are going to upgrade, internally regulated is the way to go. you have several options, from GM one wires to a kit for our cars that uses the 3G (check out PA Performance website). It just depends on your comfort level with wiring.
Sounds like you need to replace wheel cylinders. I would pull the offending wheel and have a look. My philosophy is that if one goes, the rest can't be far behind, and it is not that labor intensive.
Heat and electrical parts do not play well together. Whatever you can do to isolate the coil away from engine heat is good. Side of engine bay is best. Front of block preferable to top of manifold, you get the picture. Best of luck.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Calcat. I presume the wheel cylinders are the same as any other car. I can get a 60 amp up to 90 amp Alternator with internal regulator, the guy says most modern cars have higher amperage cos' of all the accessories they have now days, at least thats what I think he was getting at. Our ranchero has exactly the same alternator, so we will swop the two and then I can take the 70 one in and get the best match.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You need to get wheel cylinders that fit the car. New cylinders are usually not that expensive. I rebuilt mine for years when Money was very tight. Further do all of them at once as recommended by calcat.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, think I might just take it in to be done by a brake place, not that I have no faith in our ability, but more because I do not know the history of the car, for all I know everything is shot brake wise, once its been done 'professionally' I can rest easy that I know exactly what is going on with them, and then we can do it ourselves next time. Also want to have 72 checked, just for peace of mind. If either of our cougars had to slam into one of these little apologies for cars round here I would hate to have to fork out for the damages, and also hate to unintentionally injure someone, we are already in the eyes having these two cars, and fingers will be pointed in our direction no matter whose fault it is.

Messenger of doom, thats me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts