Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there know where I can buy a complete 3 inch exhaust tubing set for my 68 Cougar XR-7? I've looked into getting pipe custom mendrel bent and then putting it on, but I'd rather just buy it all ready done, and ready to go. I've found 2 1/2 inch pipe sets, but no 3 inch, and I want 3 inch. Thanks - Chad

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Good luck Chad, I know of no one who sells 3" exhaust. Why do you want 3"? 2 1/2" will flow all you could ever need. Besides it would get pretty tight under there with 3" especially going up over the rear axle. My 2 1/4 are tight enough between the shackles and gas tank.mm

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 70 Cougar had 3 inch exhaust, and i liked seeing those big pipes, but the problam is I have no idea where they came from. I can settle for smaller exhaust though if there is no easy way to get the 3 inchers. - Chad

·
Registered
12 Posts
I build custom exhaust at my shop and I promise you that unless you have a diesel under the hood you will not use the 3 inch to its fullest.
2 and a half is big enough for any street gas powered car. If you like the big pipes look put some chrome megs on and no one will tell, that is what I did with my 390 1969 and it runs and sounds great!!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At your shop do you weld or braze the exhaust? Or does it even matter? - Chad

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry it took so long to reply. I weld some joints but I mainly clamp the joinrs, in case I ever have to replace a section i dont have to cut a bunch of welds

1 - 6 of 6 Posts