Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much of a difference will it make if i go from 3.oo open to 3 .25 with a detroit soft locker im really thinking about making this upgrade what do you guys think and how much should it cost

·
11,000 Posts
That is a good swap to make. The 3.25 will make comfortable freeway cruising still possible yet really showcase the brutal low end torque of that 390.

Cost for parts:
Gasket $6
Axle seals $12
Replacement bearing and hardware kit $200
Detroit Locker $400
Gear set $190

Typical labor to set up rear end third member (not including removal) $200

I priced the parts as if you were buying them from Summit or Jegs.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Gotta agree with Royce. This is a good idea. Especially the gear choice. It won't be a huge difference in power due to the gears, but the traction...sweet Jesus McGillicuddy!
Some more tips for a rear end with 30 plus year old axles about to be abused:
Check the axle shafts for trueness. A slightly out of kilter shaft is hard to tell with the eye, but can really exacerbate bearing problems when you do big burnouts, high speed runs, or hard launches. They can be checked with a dial indicator at almost any machine shop for, like, ten bucks.
OR... buy some new axles in the 31 spline variety from someone like Randy's ring and pinion or Currie (etc...) and your rear will be prepared for a brutal assault of torque. Yeah, I'm good at spending other people's money...
Change the bearings to high quality parts like BCA or something. The bearings are something often overlooked by lots of hotrodders. Since it'll be apart anyway, it won't hurt to replace them.
Change the gear oil to high quality stuff.

Sounds like you're proceeding nicely, outlaw.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Nah, I'd go for the 3.25's too. You'll need a new gearset with the locker anyway. And factory gears are good, but the newer metalurgical processes used for gearmaking are way ahead of what they had back in '67. Might as well get what you want. And the lower gears will take a tick off of your e.t. at the strip. I just meant that in comparison to the increase in traction, the gears were secondary to that for perfomance.
Go for it man. And make sure whoever sets up your gearset knows their stuff. Even if you have to mail it to Royce. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts