Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a freshly rebuilt 289 nothing fancy 40 over old set of forged TRW pistons crank has been turned new bearings & gaskets throughout not sure the cam specs but its nothing major old torquer intake single plane small holley carb vac seconds like a 550 cfm maybe
new melling high volumn oil pump new lifters & hardened push rods the heads had guideplates they are also a smog variety they had a port on each which I plugged

here is the problem I have adjusted the valves & checked them again they seem fine how ever I have what seems to me to be an excessive amount of top end tick
the engine has 50 lbs of oil pressure at an idle hot. It doesnt leak, smoke, knock, spark knock runs fine doesnt run hot but just has a lot of top end tick is it the guide plates??? it has factory rockers from a 67 289 I am not sure on the year of the new motor but it is definetely a 289 the pushrods are the same lenghth as the 67 the rockers are all tight after the motor has been ran for a few minutes it starts with just a bump of the key I am lost it has been a long time since I have messed with this stuff & have forgotten a lot of what i knew

·
Registered
321 Posts
Unlikely that it's coming from the guide plate. A couple of things to check...good oil flow to the rockers? Is the slot in the rocker touching the rocker stud at full lift? Is there enough clearance between the end of the rockers and the valve spring retainer? Does this problem go away as you rev the engine?
Are the guide plates aftermarket or do you have the early heads with the slots cast in?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Wouldn't the smog heads have a positive stop type setup on them? On those you just run it down until it seated....not really much adjusting to be done. Another thing you might want to double check is that you don't have an exhaust leak that sounds like a lifter tick - if it's leaking around the header/manifold area it will sound just like a lifter. Can't tell you how many times I've chased that rabbit - it can be difficult to distinguish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts