Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done it?
I have a 351 I am putting together for the car, and was just wondering if there will be any hood clearance issues. I have the stock height mounts, and the intake is a edebrock performer. The air filter is a K&N Xstream unit (really nice too) with a 1" drop.
I am not opposed to using solid engine mounts to gain a little bit more clearance, so that is always an option. The big concern is if I have to start looking in to how to cut a hole in my hood to make everything fit.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I don't have any hard data to cite, but with that manifold and engine it should go right in and clear the hood.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I put a 351 in a 67 Stang (same engine bay and mounts as Cougar) and had Zero problems with all the stock components. I put a 351 in my 67 cougar and had problems with hood clearance and exhaust routing. BUT I have a Eddie RPM performer high rise manifold and was using some headers that would not clear the tranny cross member brace.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I'm running a 351W in my '67 with a Performer RPM manifold and a 3"X14" K&N with a 1.25" drop base. It fits without a problem. The Performer RPM Air-Gap will not fit. I do recommend upgrading your motor mounts if you are going to beef up your engine. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-6-1904-BL/

For headers, I'm using the same ones I used with my 289: Hedman 88300.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'm running a 351W in my '67 with a Performer RPM manifold and a 3"X14" K&N with a 1.25" drop base. It fits without a problem. The Performer RPM Air-Gap will not fit. I do recommend upgrading your motor mounts if you are going to beef up your engine. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-6-1904-BL/

For headers, I'm using the same ones I used with my 289: Hedman 88300.
The Edelbrock Performer RPM and Performer RPM Air Gap has the same height, according to the data on their site

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
The Edelbrock Performer RPM and Performer RPM Air Gap has the same height, according to the data on their site
Performer RPM - Manifold height: A-4.30", B-5.30"
Performer RPM Air-Gap - Manifold height: A-5.31", B-6.19"

You are correct when it comes to the 289/302 manifold. Manifold Height: A-4.30", B-5.50"

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I want to clarify why I think you should upgrade your motor mounts. With a setup like mine, the clearance between the hood and the air cleaner bolt is tight. You wouldn't want to break your driver side motor mount and dent your hood.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I did it in 1981. From 289 to 351W.
Wrapped a piece of chain around the left motor mount after breaking it twice. Never did dent the hood.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I broke mine twice also. I lost two radiator hoses and a fan shroud on top of denting the hood. After that, I installed a turnbuckle between the head and the sway bar mount. The turnbuckle made it a little too stiff, but there weren't a lot of options in 1998 when I did the swap. I really like the Prothane motor mounts and matching transmission mount.

One other thing about this swap, the 1967 motor mounts are not reproduced no matter what the guy at your favorite parts store tells you. If you want to install aftermarket motor mounts (even stock ones), you have to get new frame brackets. http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/c8sb-framebrkt-pair.html You can usually find them on eBay for less.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am planning on getting new mounts. The ones I have are the stock, which worked fine with the 289, although I doubt they will take the abuse of a full roller 351 for long. I have shorty headers right now, so getting them to fit shouldn't be a problem, just have to mess with the down pipes a bit.

Thanks guys, I can sleep better tonight knowing that I have one less thing to worry about :p

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I have an adjustable turnbuckle and a short piece of chain going down to the driver's side strut rod pocket in the subframe. This came after breaking one motor mount. It gets completely hidden behind the serpentine belt system. After going from a 302 to a 351W along with a Performer RPM intake, a 1" spacer, 4" K&N filter on a drop base, even with the functional cowl induction hood, the wingnut rubs on the bottom side of the scoop.

All that equals ZERO room for error. I used a MCNot decal to hide the scratch.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts