Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully installed a serpentine setup on their early cat? I despise v-belts...

I have found a few kits but they are very expensive, and require a electric fuel pump. The kit I was looking at requires two belts so I do not consider it a true serpentine setup. My car has pwr steering, and AC.

Thanks,

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't get the connection between fuel pump and fan belts... Do the serpentine's interfere with the fuel pump?

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't get the connection between fuel pump and fan belts... Do the serpentine's interfere with the fuel pump?
Apparently the power steering pump is relocated where the mechanical fuel pump normally resides....

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I engineered a set-up on my 351W using factory parts based on an 88 T-Bird 5.0 set up. While there are several things that need consideration, the most troublesome spot is finding a balancer pulley to fit your three bolt balancer. All serp. set-ups I've seen use a four bolt pulley. And I'm not sure about the fuel pump conflict. But the factory cars that came with a serp. set-up are fuel injected and don't have a mechanical pump. My engine is a '94 and never had a mechanical pump.

I've chimed in on some threads on this in the past and I would need to do a search for the ones with more details.

Edit:

http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?40015-Serp-belts-for-68&p=327027#post327027

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Mark.

Which electric fuel pump are you using? I hear many of them are loud, unreliable, and require a regulator.

This is the March setup I was referring to.
Cons:
Cost, has two separate belts, only one belt has a tensioner.
Pros:
Has 3-bolt balancer and can be used with existing water pump and radiator.

1965-69 Ford 289-302, 351W with 3-Bolt Dampener, Passenger Side Lower Radiator Hose Water Pump

Is it worth the cost and aggravation? :confused:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
When you do this consider updating to a 4 bolt balancer.
3 bolt balancers were a little weak and the bolts tend to walk out when you run AC, PS, alt and water pump from them.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I've run a bunch of different pumps. I ran Carter's for a while and they were fine but then reliability went downhill. I've been running a Holley RED pump for the last several years. I've run both with and without a regulator and the car really doesn't run any different. The Holley pump was a little noisier than the Carter but it's more relaible. You can't hear either one over the Flowmasters anyway. I did have one pump fail while on the road. I keep a brand new spare on the shelf. I also carry a good used one in the trunk with some zip ties and a small screwdriver that I can swap to at least get me home if necessary.

That system you show can use the stock water pump because of the two belts. All the others rotate the water pump the opposite way. Using a stock clutch fan would require a reversed fan too. But I really like your dual electric encased in the aluminum shroud. So you would at least have that covered.

It also looks like the threaded rods provide the tension on both belts. That pulley just below the AC compressor is really just and idler pulley.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the help guys.

This is another March setup (one belt). The initial cost of this kit is a little lower...but it requires more conversion parts which raises the price (see below).

As Mark said, this one would require a counterclockwise pump. I found a counterclockwise pump from Summit with a passenger side inlet. The instructions for the above kit states "Requires a 90 degree angle thermostat housing, and the use of a water pump and radiator with a driver side lower radiator hose". This leads me to believe a passenger side inlet will not work. Perhaps there is some kind of interference (lower alternator bracket?). A drivers side inlet would require a new radiator (more $$$).

This kit would also require a 4-bolt balancer. As Art said, a 4-bolt balancer would be a good upgrade. Plus I could use the 4-bolt kit if I ever upgrade to another SBF…whereas a 3-bolt kit limits me. That first kit is available in a 4-bolt setup as well.

Decisions, decisions.

Which is more appealing?
A: First kit: 2-belt, 4-bolt. Requires balanacer, and an electric fuel pump.
B: Second kit: 1-belt, 4-bolt. Requires balancer, electric fuel pump, water neck, water pump, and potentially a new radiator.
C: Keep the v-belts and save the cash.

Thanks,

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
79-84 Fox body Mustangs etc with a carbureted 5.0 had a mechanical fuel pump and serpentine belt setup.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
79-84 Fox body Mustangs etc with a carbureted 5.0 had a mechanical fuel pump and serpentine belt setup.
Thanks for the tip Yeloxr7. I did not know that...

This setup will have an air pump correct?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found this photo on another forum..Fox body setup with the air pump eliminated. :)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
This kit would also require a 4-bolt balancer. As Art said, a 4-bolt balancer would be a good upgrade. Plus I could use the 4-bolt kit if I ever upgrade to another SBF…whereas a 3-bolt kit limits me. That first kit is available in a 4-bolt setup as well.

Thanks,
The Professional Products balancer is drilled for both the three and four bolt pulley. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-80006/?rtype=10

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks as always Art.

I sent a PM to the gentleman who assembled the fox body setup shown in post #11. I will post my findings.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Found this photo on another forum..Fox body setup with the air pump eliminated. :)

This is exactly what mine looks like. Yes, I eliminated the air pump. However, I found that with that belt routing, it puts some extra strain on the alternator bracket. Yes, mine broke once. With it's replacement, I used the mounting tabs from the pollution pump to help strengthen that bracket by adding come more metal too it to strengthen it up.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
The timing pointer will have to be moved to the passenger side with the Fox body WP.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
really suprized my posts hadnt came up inthis , i am running a 94-96 ftruck lh side and a 97-93 truck rh side , i have the air pump delete pully and the c2 style ford pump. i have a efi style front cover with the hole drilled in for the dipstick

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies.

I guess I do not exactly understand why I would need to change out the timing cover if I can purchase a counter-clockwise pump with a passenger side inlet for my current timing cover...

Couldn't I use the left and right accessory brackets shown below on my 289?
Again, keep my timing cover and replace the water pump with this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFF-1432CREV/

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New one on me.
OK, what's the plan?
I don't know, still considering all my options...but there is a good chance the v-belts will be staying :bloated:

Seems like a lot of cash and aggravation no matter which route I go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts