Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Paul, It's Hi Po, (short for High Performance).

In short it's a 289 with a high nodular steel crank, stouter main caps ,forged connecting rods with 3/8" bolts, cast flat top pistons, a solid lifter cam with a healthy profile, screw in rocker studs, four bbl carb (480 cfm), streamline exhaust manifolds , and dual point distributor..

Hope that answers the question..
Bert

P.S. only about 17000 were produced.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be what I was looking for. I have a extra 289 block and was wanting to transform it. The 289 I am running now in mine was built for me. It has a slightly heavery cam with 351w heads on it. I only have a 2brl on it right now. but getting ready to put duel exaust and a 4brl on. Ive seen these high pro around and thought they were pretty nice. I thought about stroking the extra 289 but not sure. Stroking the motor or going high pro? What do you all think?
Paul W. 67 std

·
11,000 Posts
cougar1 said:
Paul, It's Hi Po, (short for High Performance).

In short it's a 289 with a high nodular steel crank, stouter main caps ,forged connecting rods with 3/8" bolts, cast flat top pistons, a solid lifter cam with a healthy profile, screw in rocker studs, four bbl carb (480 cfm), streamline exhaust manifolds , and dual point distributor..

Hope that answers the question..
Bert

P.S. only about 17000 were produced.

Bert,
Actually the 289 Hi - Po crank is the same cast iron crank as any other 289. The only difference is that they were tested by means of a Brinell hardness check for the presence of higher nodularity. For that reason finding a crank with a Brinell hardness test is meaningless. There must have been cranks that failed the test. They would have gone into a regular 289.

289 Hi Po rods are forged steel. So are all Ford connecting rods for 289's, 302's, 351's, 390's and any other Ford product of the 1960's. The Hi - Po rods are a different, beefier forging and yes they do use larger bolts.

No Cougars received a 289 Hi - Po from the factory.

In this day and age there are Ford crate motor 302's that offer a lot more performance for less money. Leave the Hi Po 289 stuff to the numbers must match Mustwang and Shelby guys who enjoy the thrill of pushing their cars on and off the enclosed trailer.

Royce Peterson

:flamer:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
...Leave the Hi Po 289 stuff to the numbers must match Mustwang and Shelby guys who enjoy the thrill of pushing their cars on and off the enclosed trailer.
:spit:
Reminds me of a great sticker I saw on a 37 Ford at a cruise-in last week: "If this car is on a trailer dial 911 - IT's BEING STOLEN"

If you can't build one, buy one. If you can't drive it - sell it!
:p:
Bob

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, Looks like I'll sell the extra block. Keep the motor I have and finish it off with the 4brl and duel exaust. Thanks for the input. That will leave me with more money to do the other repairs needed.
Paul W. 67std

1 - 6 of 6 Posts