Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. so im just starting to drive my cat (67 xr7) has a rebuilt 289 .30 over. mild cam. 4 barrel edlebrock 500 cfm carb. headers. turbo dual exhaust from summit racing. rebuilt c4 trans with shift kit. im pretty sure it has 2.73 stock gears ( might be wrong i have no clue.. but pretty sure) and its running on 15 inch wheels. dont know the tire size but you can see them in my signature pictures.

i have yet to see what this thing can really do. i havent put my whole foot into it or gone WOT yet because i only have about 150 miles on the new motor and want to make sure its good and broken in first.

i know upgrading to 3:55 could be a bit much for the c4 on the freeway. which i drive a lot. not so much in the city but i want to take this thing on road trips for sure. i was wondering if 3:25 would give me that extra kick off the line and still be good on RPM's and gas on freeway?
what are you guys running and what would you recommend? (prefferably someone with a 289/c4 setup)
who knows.. i might like the way the stock gears perform when i finally go WOT but as i keep reading about it i keep obsessing about it lol. and most forums are on 3:55 gears and after reading about it all i just dont think those will work for what i want to do with out swapping out for an over drive transmission.
help?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
A car geared for acceleration will suffer at highway speeds, no doubt.
But if you can be content with running 60-65mph when everyone else is going 80 you can have both.

I ran 4:10-4:56 gears on the street for years. I allowed myself extra time on the freeway because I ran 55-60 because of my low gears.
I could do this because I LOVED outrunning 5.0's, z-28's, LS Firebirds with my old car. All about compromises.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what motor and trans were you runnin? i know 4:10 is way too much for what i wanna do lol. for now its gonna be a daily driver but more of a weekend driver with todays gas prices. haha so 3:55 is as low as i wanna go i think. but i dont even know about that im thinking 3:25-3:30?

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
How much cam are we talking about here?
I have a .030 over 289, but I put a T5 in the car. I also have the 3.50 geared rear end, to go with my cam. I need a bit more gear, and so am planning on upgrading to a 3.73 rear end. In 4th gear, with my 16 inch tires, going 65-70, I'm turning ~23-2600 rpm. If you got a "cam card" with your cam, it should say something about rear end gears, for optimal performance..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i had my motor built by the best in our area and we do trade work for him all the time and he really hooked i up. i dont know much about the cam at all but he said it was pretty hot for a mild cam. and you can definately hear it. idk if its any use but heres the video of my car. maybe you can tell by the sound. but i have no experience with cams what so ever. i fully trust the engine builder hes an awesome dude and builds awesome motors.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
what motor and trans were you runnin? i know 4:10 is way too much for what i wanna do lol. for now its gonna be a daily driver but more of a weekend driver with todays gas prices. haha so 3:55 is as low as i wanna go i think. but i dont even know about that im thinking 3:25-3:30?
Car sounds nice!
I ran a 302, then a 393W with a C-4. Now back to a 302 T-5 w/3.25 cruuuuuisng gears.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Car sounds great.

and most forums are on 3:55 gears and after reading about it all i just dont think those will work for what i want to do with out swapping out for an over drive transmission.
I had 3.55's in my car for a while. It wasn't so bad, but highway was exactly the way Art described above.
I wouldn't swap the gears yet. Break it in and drive it for a while, then decide what to do. Or don't. Whatever, Chief. You're young and have a hotrod. Do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Your awesome engine builder dude should be able to tell you what gears & torque converter the cam is designed to be used with. Most likely it will be a somewhat narrow range of gears (say 3:50-3:91).

That said - to just answer your question, 3.25 gears are a good "compromise gear", and I run them in my cats for all around use. You can cruise at 65-80 comfortably, and get good action off the line. 3:55s are OK too, but you will be pulling more RPMs. That said, my buddy has run 3.91s in his Shelby FOREVER - cross country trips, 90 mph cruising, etc, etc - doesn't seem to bother him any, but it would drive me bat$hit.

You never said what kind of rear you have - I'm guessing an 8", so you will not have infinite gear choices like you would with a 9". Before I put any $ into the 8" rear, I'd go get a 9" out of a '69 or '70 Cougar. It is way more stout & you'll have more choices.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You never said what kind of rear you have - I'm guessing an 8", so you will not have infinite gear choices like you would with a 9". Before I put any $ into the 8" rear, I'd go get a 9" out of a '69 or '70 Cougar. It is way more stout & you'll have more choices.

sorry haha it is an 8 inch. and i might go to a 9. but there are 3.25 gears for an 8 inch from summit. is it worth putting 3.25 into an 8? there are also 3:55 for an 8.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your awesome engine builder dude should be able to tell you what gears & torque converter the cam is designed to be used with. Most likely it will be a somewhat narrow range of gears (say 3:50-3:91).

unfortunatley its been a few years since i had him rebuild it. ill get the receipt he gave me when im home. at work right now. i dont think it says any information on the cam. its something he threw in for me since we did a lot of trade work for him. so i dont think he will remember or be able to tell me :(

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Well now...

the sound really is a badass "in your face" sound. The look on your face just brought me back +/- 36 years with the match to the sound of your car! (oh... sweet memories)

FUN !!! ain't it?

now, you just need to get a hint from fastcat (Mike Cole)... and give us a ride via your cam.

Thanks in advance

Jean

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The 8" will hold up to reasonable use & torque. Hard launches at the strip will kill it, but with an automatic tranny & a mild converter you will likely not have a problem.

The cam spec is not a big deal. You have what you have. The theoretical point is that the range of cam choices moves your power band up in the rev range. Generally, as you choose a cam for higher HP, torque suffers, then you have to gear the car up to get off the line. For instance, if your car is a dog off the line, but comes alive over 3k, then I'd lean more towards 3:55 or 3:73s.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well now...

the sound really is a badass "in your face" sound. The look on your face just brought me back +/- 36 years with the match to the sound of your car! (oh... sweet memories)

FUN !!! ain't it?

now, you just need to get a hint from fastcat (Mike Cole)... and give us a ride via your cam.

Thanks in advance

Jean
thanks man haha. More videos to come soon after i upgrade my radiatior and get a fan clutch. i dont know if you noticed in the video but my coolant was leaking haha. i can only drive it at night in this california heat. but planning a lot of driving videos because for the last 5 years of workin on this thing youtubing cougars/mustangs in car driving has become an obsession (my first car). thanks!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Get outrun by a Hundah or two, you'll be clickin' the 4.10 "buy it now"! :D
Art's right - those highway gears will just get you in trouble anyway.

Insert picture of a 20 y/o me behind the wheel of the R Code, with a 3.00 rear, the top down, the speedo pinned, my foot on the floor & the valves floating at 5700 rpms...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get outrun by a Hundah or two, you'll be clickin' the 4.10 "buy it now"! :D
hate those things! lol buzzin around with their 3 foot spoilers. if i got up to 4.10 ill definately be swapping transmissions though. definately plan on taking this thing on road trips to the national forrests grand canyon that kind of stuff. cant wait.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Art's right - those highway gears will just get you in trouble anyway.

Insert picture of a 20 y/o me behind the wheel of the R Code, with a 3.00 rear, the top down, the speedo pinned, my foot on the floor & the valves floating at 5700 rpms...
Oh, wow. That's a lot of speed with the top down!

That's why you buy an R code 'vert though, right?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
hate those things! lol buzzin around with their 3 foot spoilers. if i got up to 4.10 ill definately be swapping transmissions though. definately plan on taking this thing on road trips to the national forrests grand canyon that kind of stuff. cant wait.
Fix your leak and take it on a trip. Then consider whether you want lower gears or more road tripping or whatever.

My 70 with 3:1 gears and a 2v Cleveland was a great road trip car.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Coug67, If you ever need a pissing contest between your california heat, and my Up north "more snow???" I'm all yours :lolani:

The look on your face is just what I was told mine was xx years ago. I can, most comfortably, thank you for the trip!.

You are part of the crowd that will take up the burden of keeping our passion alive!.

Keep on catting!

Jean

1 - 20 of 33 Posts